• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Block secondary users from creating extra domains?

MikeA

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm running a small Plesk installation (web admin edition) for a couple small website. I've never used Plesk before this week, but I've spent hours looking to see if it's possible to block users from creating additional domains or 'webspaces' on their account.

Essentially, I have one account for me, and one account for a friend; However I don't want the other person to be able to create a domain and have the files point to my web space directory.

626d60e542891d254e420630186fbe91.png

Basically I just want to remove the ability to use any of the "Add Domain", "Add Subdomain" features for certain accounts/roles, but I don't see any way to make this possible. There's an option to disable the subdomain and domain alias features, but not the add domain one.

Basically I just want the account completely isolated.

Any suggestions, or is this not possible with the web admin edition? I'm only hosting 2-4 domains.

Edit: I also noticed secondary accounts with the general WebMaster role can access the subscriptions page which shows all webspaces/domains hosted on the server. Am I missing something clearly in front of me?

As you can see here https://kb.plesk.com/en/121897 WebAdmin Edition hasn't ability for subscriptions management. For example, in the list of subscription permissions you can enable/disable 'Domains management' permission.

As you can see here https://kb.plesk.com/en/121897 WebAdmin Edition hasn't ability for subscriptions management. For example, in the list of subscription permissions you can enable/disable 'Domains management' permission.

I upgraded to the Web Pro Edition which should include subscription management. I don't see this option. In 'Users | User Accounts" I see a new option 'Access to subscriptions' which contains the domain and it's not an editable field. If I edit a user role that line is not present. Where do I find this 'Domains management' permission?

The problem I'm trying to solve:
If I go into Users and give a user access to 'Configure and perform data backup and restoration', this also give them the ability to the 'Add Domain' which allows adding a domain to another subscription. (most of the other features in the list also allow the same)

Is there a way to disable this 'Add Domain' button while giving Plesk users access to other buttons in the Websites & Domains panel?

Last edited:
I upgraded to the Web Pro Edition which should include subscription management. I don't see this option. In 'Users | User Accounts" I see a new option 'Access to subscriptions' which contains the domain and it's not an editable field. If I edit a user role that line is not present. Where do I find this 'Domains management' permission?

Hello Chrisa :) Let's see if I can help you with your conundrum :)

On a Web Admin license, you were restricted to creating additional users and managing their roles. So, if you wanted to grant a different person access to Plesk, you had to create an additional user for them, and to define what they could or couldn't do, you had to use the roles and permissions mechanism. After upgrading to the Web Pro Edition, you gained the ability to create customer accounts and subscriptions, which allow you a far greater degree of control. To take advantage of these features, you need to switch to the Service Provider view. Look for the "Change View" control in the bottom left corner of the screen, click it and select "Switch to Service Provider view".

upload_2016-9-19_10-43-2.png

Now, you can a) click "Customers" => "Add a Customer". This creates a separate Plesk login with a separate webspace. This webspace is called their subscription, and it includes a great many controls to fine-tune what they can and can't do in Plesk. To change the settings, go to "Subscriptions" and click the name of the customer's subscription, then click "Customize" in the "Account" section on the right side of the screen. To do as you wish, namely

disable this 'Add Domain' button while giving Plesk users access to other buttons in the Websites & Domains panel?

you need to go to "Permissions", expand the "Show more available permissions" menu and uncheck the "Domains management" and "Subdomains management" items. Click "Update & Lock" when you're done - et voila! The customer will have access to all Plesk functionality save for the ability to create additional domains or subdomains. Naturally, you can use the subscription properties to control other aspects of their hosting experience as well (maybe limit them to three domains, disallow them to change the PHP settings, set the maximum mailbox size, etc).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-19_10-42-48.png
    upload_2016-9-19_10-42-48.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 5
Hello modronmarch,
Thanks so much. I didn't see the new button down there! Now I also have access to health monitor. I think the I/F is nicer, better organized.
Have a good day.

Last edited:
Back