• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Browser-Caching 2017 Nginx as Proxy

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Sorry for the old question. I found and read only threads which are older than 2016 or related to wordpress.
I use Woltlab communities where I selected the option "Activate GZIP", nothing more.

Please can someone help and explain in detail where to put the correct Browser-caching instruction.

PLESK ONYX 17.0.17 Update #17
SSL over Letsencrypt.
Dedicated Server Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
PHP 7.1.2 - FPM served by Apache
- Nginx Proxymodus
- Intelligent editing static files
- Static files serving directly by nginx
Additional nginx instructions:
gzip_proxied any;
fastcgi_read_timeout 300;

According to GZIP (vi /etc/nginx/conf.d/gzip.conf): <-- Great amazing HELP & SUPPORT by PLESK

gzip on;
gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6]\\.(?!.*SV1)";
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_types text/plain text/css application/x-javascript text/xml text/html application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript image/x-icon image/bmp image/svg+xml application/javascript application/js application/xhtml+xml application/rss+xml application/x-font-ttf application/vnd.ms-fontobject font/opentype font/ttf font/eot font/otf image/jpg image/jpeg image/png image/gif application/json;
gzip_vary on;

This nginx configuration is absolutely correct by
# nginx -t

Lots of greets

Hi Dukemaster,

PHP 7.1.2 - FPM served by Apache
If this setting is set, you would use the apache - webserver for gzip - compression. Such a modification can be done in your ".htaccess" - file. Check your setup at for example: => https://varvy.com/tools/gzip/

( Depending to your Woltlab - version ( unfortunately you forget to mention your current version! ) and possible installed addons, your woltlab - software might have already placed ".htaccess" - modifications after you setup it over the Woltlab Administration Control Panel. You could then use the free Plesk - Extension "htaccess-to-nginx" to convert your ".htaccess" - file into nginx directives for your domain specific webserver - settings, if you desire to change "PHP 7.1.2 - FPM served by Apache" to "PHP 7.1.2 - FPM served by Nginx". ;) )

Thanks a lot for your help, @UFHH01 (Hoped you would answer me, because you know my environment well) ;)
I use the actual version WoltLab Suite™ 3.0.3. with Woltlab blog, gallery, calendar, but without any addons from thirdparty developers.
Site-configuration is activated SEO-friendly URLs (Core/WCF is installed root, forum + all other apps in subdirectories).
Here is the Woltlab support article for all .htaccess-configurations. I use Apache, therefor the 1st one is my configuration.
Your recommened test on www.varvy.com gives the result shown in screenshot. But Google Pagespeed Insights says:
Browser-Caching nutzen (use Browser-Caching)
Should Fix

I want to try your advice and switch to PHP with FastProcessManager nginx.
Do I have to change also other configurations? Because whole Plesk and Webserver is focused on hosting 3 Woltlab Communities with heavy image galleries.

I will tell You my results...
Thank You so much, happy for the great support ;)

Attachments

• GZIP Compression www.varvy.com.jpg
    GZIP Compression www.varvy.com.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi Dukemaster,

But Google Pagespeed Insights says:
Browser-Caching nutzen (use Browser-Caching)

Actually, you could ignore Google Pagespeed Insights here, because Woltlab products are already very well configured. If you still insist of using additional settings over your ".htaccess" - file ( for apache ), or the corresponding additional nginx directives, just use google for possible solutions with the words: "Woltlab" "Browser-Caching"
I really recommend to open a thread at the Woltlab Community, because experienced Woltlab - User and Woltlab - Officials will help you with their experience and knowledge for their products: => https://community.woltlab.com

Ok, thank you @UFHH01 . The problem is that the community is not the same like in years before. The experienced users firstly tell you that Plesk eats too much server ressources and fight who is the best. According to Plesk it's not the best way, not in these days after the biggest upgrade since ever.

I looked in the Apache optimization settings and saw that the mod_expires is not activated.
Do I have to do it? And together with the .htaccess code which I read again and again here is it perhaps the right solution for me (browser-caching)?

Moment please, here are my settings on screen.
Perhaps I have to activate something else.
[I also read about the Google Pagespeed Module to install but I don't like too much realationships with Google as necessary...]
;)

Greets

Attachments

• Apache-Einstellungen-2.jpg
    Apache-Einstellungen-2.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

pls. keep in mind, that this community is a "Plesk-based" forum. Even that you might get as well additional informations/suggestions about server-components and it's settings, you should ask experts for the specific product or it's components in the corresponding forums/communities. ;)

To learn more about the apache - module "expires" and it's usage, I recommend to read: => http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_expires.html and again, you might consider to use the Google search with for example "apache" "mod_expires", to find examples, tutorials and discussions on how to use that module and it's features, to fit your unique needs and desires. Often enough, server-components and it's tweaking is a long-term process, using different sorts of settings and modifications, untill you find the very best solution for your unique server, it's hardware and the hosted content. :)

Back