• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

BUG: PostgreSQL server adding is weird.

Tozz

Regular Pleskian
New installation with Debian 7 and Plesk 12 (latest release with all updates):

I tried to add a PostgreSQL server. I used this URL as a little howto http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/723/How+do+I+install+PostgreSQL+on+my+server%3F#dv_managed/Step_3_Register_PostgreSQL_with_Plesk. The point where things go south is:

Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/database-server --update-server localhost:5432 -type postgresql -admin admin -passwd `cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

# /opt/psa/bin/database-server --update-server localhost:5432 -type postgresql -admin admin -passwd `cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
SUCCESS: Server localhost:5432 is successfully updated.

However, this "SUCCESS" is actually false. It turns out my license key doesn't have support for PostgreSQL. I tried to remove the database, but that doesn't work either:

Code:
# /opt/psa/bin/database-server --remove-server localhost:5432
Database server localhost:5432 is not found

The only solution I found working is to manually remove the entry from PSA's mysql database 'DatabaseServers':

Code:
USE psa;
DELETE DatabaseServers WHERE type = 'postgresql';

Then, when I use "create-server" instead of "update-server" I get the proper error message:

Code:
# /opt/psa/bin/database-server --create-server localhost:5432 -type postgresql -admin admin -passwd `cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
To use Postgresql server, you need the support for it in your license key. Please consult your Parallels sales representative.

So the bug is:

- The update-server commands returns SUCCESS when there actually isn't any success. All it does is add a entry in PSA's MySQL database. The server does not turn up in the webinterface. It should either return "server not found" or "not supported by license", but not a false SUCCESS.
- It is not possible to remove the server with remove-server, it returns an invalid "not found" message.

You should not remove this record manually. It should exist in psa database even if postgresql server is not installed.
After installing postgresql server all you need to do is to refresh components on server components screen in tools&settings.
Plesk will detect postgresql server. Then you can use UI/CLI to set/update admin credentials.

I did use autoinstaller, but the autoinstaller didn't install PostgreSQL package itself. Perhaps due to the license? There was no other way to remove the record, as removing the record with the database-server utility did not work as outlined in my original thread.

You did not confirm this is a bug in this thread, however, I do see this issue is resolved in the changelog for 12.0.18 update 3:
[fixed] The database-server command-line utility did not check the current Plesk license. (PPP-10280)

So this is confirmed after all?

Yes, database-server command-line utility will now check the license restictions.

Back