• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Bug: upgrade to 10.4 disables password protected directories (with fix!)

shall

Regular Pleskian
Upgraded to 10.4 last month from 9.5.4 to address the reported security issue.

Aside from the problems with email and FTP, apparently there was also an issue that disabled the password-protected directories on ALL sites server-wide.

I discovered this issue today and manually re-activated the password-protection for all these directories on all domains. I initially tried to think of a way to automate the process, but since the paths are unique to each site and some use custom paths while all use the "/plesk-stat" protected directory, I felt it would be safest to just manually reactivate the protected folders for each site.

Every single site on the server suffered from this bug - the "/plesk-stat" folder for every single site was visible to the world. To test it, simply open up any domain on your site with "/plesk-stat/webstat/" for the path as so:
http://example.com/plesk-stat/webstat/
If you're not prompted for a login, you've been bit by this bug.

The fix:

1) Login to your Plesk 10.x for Windows admin panel
2) Click "Subscriptions"
3) For each (domain) in the list
3a) Click the (domain)
3b) Click "Websites & Domains"
3c) Click "Password-protected Directories"
3d) For each (directory) in the list
3d1) Click the (directory)
3d2) Click "Directory Settings"
3d3) Click "OK"
3d4) Repeat for the next (directory)
3e) Repeat for the next (domain)
4) You're done: now test thoroughly.

This caused me a headache

I was trying to implement web-stats and doing this "fix" caused me great pain. When I followed the steps nothing really happened except that my site went down. I kept getting a 404 Resource Cannot be Found error. I lost sight of the problem and spent hours inside Plesk Panel for Windows (10.4) trying to figure out what went wrong.

Going through my notes from last year when I set up a site I noticed I wrote down that I granted write/modify permissions to the httpdocs folder for IWPD_#(plesk_user) (where # is the assigned plesk #). And when I went to IIS I noticed those permissions were UNCHECKED.

So, what this did for me was to wipe out my previous permissions that I set up.

So just be careful. Not saying this didn't work under the exact same use case as the OP - just beware.

Back