• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved can i restore the email backup without the website files?

Epizefiri

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
obsidian
Hello there,
I'm using the built in backup manager to backup on Google Drive my websites.

Sometimes happens that one of my clients lost one (or some ) of his emails and ask me to restore a previous backup.
I didn't found any graphical way to restore only the email and not the email + the website.

I don't want to restore email + website, to don't loose the last updates on the website.

So, what I did in the past was to download the backup of all my websites ( 200GB ), decompress it, found the folder that contains the email and upload the folder via scp.

Is there an easier way?

There is an option to restore mail accounts of subscriptions from a backup. Like shown in the screenshot below. Does that not fit your need?

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 12.13.14.png

Last edited:
System: Debian 10
Then I have a question.
I have selected page recovery and only pages.
What then does this process do to the server?????
1699868643310.png
Because as far as I'm concerned it's clearly rummaging through mailboxes even though that's the last thing I want to do!
Plesk version:
1699868780430.png
So how do I recover just the websites and databases from the copy?

Attachments

• 1699868759735.png
    1699868759735.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
If you only want to restore files and directories, select "Files of Domains" from the drop down. When you restore the subscription or a domain, this includes configurations, too, and it may touch mail configurations. When you only restore "Files of Domains" it will only restore files, but nothing else. Restoring databases will only restore databases.

I chose to play Pages. I cannot change the language to English because the license does not allow me to do so :>.
If there is no translation error here:

1699951354650.png
we can see the selection of options for web playback. Am I right?
So if I am correct then why are all emails from the domain being played with this option? In the case of plesk it is all emails from the subscription?
Is this an error? If so, in what, the translation or in the operation of the playback system?
Due to outdated and not updated wordpress, I have to recreate all pages from subscriptions because with Plesk's solutions, an attacker thanks to one page could view files from all other subdomains and swap them too. But that's a topic for another thread.
So, trying to restore the pages through this indicated option triggered the process of overwriting mailboxes that are stored on the server in imap. I realized fairly quickly so had to recreate the current copy in the other direction.
Instead of restoring the pages within a few hours, I've been struggling with this for 2 days because I had to externally upload an 800Gb backup to have something to restore the pages from, but that's about it.

The question is, what does the "Selected objects,Pages" option do.

I think it should be "Pliki domen", not "Strony". Strony restores the whole domain complex. What you want is to restore only files and directories, that should be "Pliki domen".

I checked on a test server, recreating the pages causes Plesk to IMMEDIATELY extract the mail files only to recover one file for each email account!
A waste of time. On my server, people work on imap. The zipped copy with mail is 200GB, the page files needed are maybe 20GB. Wasted 2-3 hours just to restore needed server pages.
It's much faster to recreate the files separately and the bases separately than to use the Pages recreation option.

That can't be right, because when you restore only files, the system only restores files, but no emails.

Back