• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can Not Migrate Website Plesk 11

Chris Macpherson

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a migration issue. I have 2 Centos 5 servers both running Plesk 11.0.9. I have been trying to use the migration manager to transfer 3 domains but so far I have been unsuccessful. One of the domains is large - 50 GB of data, hundreds of MySQL tables and tens of thousands of small text files.

I have let migration manager run for a few days but the progress bar always remains at 0%. I do have lots of hard drive space on the source machine.

After reading through this forum, I found one suggestion for transferring large domains with the back up manager. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be working either. It has been running for 2 days now and is stuck at 50%. Perhaps it will finish at some point, but how long should it take?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting these domains transferred? I have used Migration Manager in the past with no problems. I like it because it retains all my emails, hosting settings, passwords, permissions etc. I am really hoping I don't have to do this manually with RSYNC or something similar.

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Chris, chances are the migration is taking place though it will take a pretty good time to complete. Just keep monitoring it ...

Also, just make sure you source server does not run of RAM & CPU power ...

Chris,

I've been battling v11 problems for weeks now and have found the Migration Manager to be so bad it can not be counted on to do it's job. They need to find the programmer that did the MM in v8.6 and have him write it for v11. My latest battle is now on a virgin server, I did a migration of a client and one domain failed because it already existed on the new server. No problem I thought. I deleted the existing and did another migration for just that one domain.

It completes with the Green Checkmark "Completed"

Click on source hostname and see that it in fact failed with the following useless message.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<execution-result status="success" log-location="/usr/local/psa/PMM/rsessions/20120721045835567/migration.result"/>

clicking "OK" does nothing. I have to go up level to get out of the screen.

Even worse, now all migrations fail. I've found so many bugs in MM I'm at a crossroads. Do I want to continue with Plesk without MM or switch to something that actually works. So far I've had so many problems with v11 I'm likely to move on to something else and forget Plesk.

When it works I've found migrations of large sites to be fast but I'm on a gigabit connection. The only way I would expect your migration to take that long is if the two machines have bandwidth limitations. But then it could be that MM is compressing the data and that could be taking some time. Since we no longer have the option of compress or not, I'd do a top on both systems and see what they are doing. You could also do iftop to see if data is flowing.

TD

I did finally get Migration Manager to move everything. I had to delete all domains and customers and start over and MAKE SURE you don't migrate a domain that is already there. You can not count on the "overwrite existing objects" checkbox.

I'm surprised there is not more outrage over how bad this is.

TD

Back