• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

can Plesk do this? (is it "safe" to move from cPanel to Plesk?)

JohanSki

Basic Pleskian
Can someone please answer this question? If what I want is possible I will transfer to Plesk... anyone please?

Hello,

I hope someone can help me to decide whether it is "safe" to move from cPanel to Plesk 12.

I am thinking of moving to another hosting company and changing from cPanel to Plesk, because I think Plesk has a better GUI.

So here's my question. In my current setup, there is only 1 document root folder on my server. I have build a (PHP) framework which handles each request based on its host name. That is why it is important for me that every new domain automatically points to this single document root. So each time I create/add a domain in Plesk, it's document root should be that specific directory. Can it be done?

I already read that the default loaction for the document root is:

/var/www/vhosts/<domain-name>/httpdocs

But this is not what I want. I want only 1 document root:

/path/to/documentroot

And each time I add a new domain, it should automatically point to this document root.

Can this be done with Plesk? And is it "safe" for me to transfer from cPanel to Plesk?

I hope someone can answer my question. Many thanks in advance.

(If my question is not clear, English is not my native language, please let me know so I can try to clarify if necessary.)

Last edited:
Already 44 views but no answer :(

Is my question unclear? Do you not know the answer? Or is what I want not possible?

I really hope to get some response...

Oke... this is getting a bit awkward now.

I'm used to getting a reply in a forum. So many views but not one single reply. Aren't there any Plesk experts here? I assumed there are. Am I wrong? Am I asking this question in the wrong section maybe?

Someone please reply...

Seems like no-one wants to help me, or at least answer me.

I hoped Plesk had an active and helpful community. It seems like I was wrong. I'd better stick to cPanel then. Too bad.

Can someone please answer this question? If what I want is possible I will transfer to Plesk... anyone please?

Thanks. It didn't work. I typed my question to find out at the end that I need a valid Plesk key.. which I don't have since I haven't purchased it yet :-s

Where did my last question go???? (edit: ah... it's there now :))

Domain aliases is not a good option since the e-mail of the aliased domain will be forwarded to the main domain.
So if the main domain belongs to John and the aliased domain belongs to Mike, all of Mike's e-mail will be forwarded to John.

Is there another solution?

Last edited:
JohanSki,

1) agree, domain aliases do not have their own mailboxes
2) you can try to manually mount document root from one domain to another domain

Why do not you want to use one subscription with additional domains which share docroot with main domain?

Why do not you want to use one subscription with additional domains which share docroot with main domain?
I already told that. I would have to use domain aliases then, correct? And then the e-mail won't work (as I described above).

Please, is someone kind enough to test if this works? http://gentoo-blog.de/confixx-plesk/change-document-root-plesk/
I would test it myself if I could, but I don't have Plesk yet. I would really appreciate it if someone could test it for me.

Seriously, is there no one on this forum who is kind enough to try this simple test? It'll only take 5 minutes and it would help me very much to make my decision. Anyone please?

@SergeyUgdyzhekov:

Where can I find addon domain in Plesk? I know cPanel has addon domains, but Plesk as well? Are you 100% sure?

(Are you sure you're not confused with domain alias?)

Just click on "Add new domain", then sure that "Location of website's files" is "In an existing webspace" and set "Document root" the same as previous domain (/httpdocs f.e.).

Back