• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot change user password

coolemail

Basic Pleskian
We have Plesk 10.2

I need to change the password for an email acocunt. I went to "Users" and the relevant user. The user is [email protected] and their email address is the same [email protected].

When I put in the new password and Save, I get a message:
The e-mail address [email protected] already belongs to another user
but there is only one user with that email address.

The email address is also the email address for a Plesk 10 "customer". As we are able to change the password for email addresses which are not the email address for a customer, perhaps this is the reason for the problem?

Can someone help please? Many thanks in advance, as ever.

Last edited:
Sorted one problem and now created another

Thank you for your response, as ever, Igor,

We host domain.com. User [email protected] has an email address [email protected]

After looking at your link Igor, and I knew this anyway, I have a "Customer" set up - Joe Bloggs. The customer's contact email address is [email protected]. So using the suggestion in that link, I went to the Customers > Joe Bloggs > Edit Contact Info and changed their contact email address to [email protected].

Now I was able to go to domain.com > Users > [email protected] and change their password which is what we wanted to do in the first place.

Now on Customers > Joe Bloggs > Edit Contact Info, I want to put their email address back to [email protected], but I amg getting
User with such e-mail address already exists in the system.

I have run the command and got
[root@plesk3 ~]# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "select id, login, email, contactName from smb_users where email='[email protected]';"
+-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+
| id | login | email | contactName |
+-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+
| 629 | [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] |
[root@plesk3 ~]#
and that must be the user/email address that we have on the system.

But I want nothing complicated here. The user/email address exists on domain.com. Originally, we were able to set Joe Bloggs up as a Customer with [email protected] as the email address. Why should that prevent us from changing the password for [email protected]?? And now having changed the password, why can I not put [email protected] back as the email address for the customer? Not rocket science!!

Note domain.com does not belong to Joe Bloggs but to a different Customer on Plesk.

I checked a totally different domain where the Customer's contact details are the same. What would happen if like the last one, I wanted to change the password for [email protected]? The same? Change email address for ID 312. Then change the password for [email protected], but then as above we would not be able to put the email address for ID 312 back to [email protected]
[root@plesk3 ~]# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "select id, login, email, contactName from smb_users where email='[email protected]';"
+-----+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| id | login | email | contactName |
+-----+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| 312 | ABC123 | [email protected] | Bill Smith |
| 371 | [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] |
[root@plesk3 ~]#

Last edited:
Back