• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cannot create user "The password length must be between 5 and 255 characters"

GrMeezer

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello,

My SEO company have requested access to my Plesk panel and I do not wish to give them the admin account details.

Upon trying to create a new user, the submit button fails and takes me to the password field which has a note stating "The password length must be between 5 and 255 characters".

I've tried passwords of 6, 10, 14, 16 and 24 characters with and without special symbols to no avail.

Clicking on the question mark merely tells me that passwords must have a minimum strength of "medium" whereas all my suggested passwords are "strong" or more.

Can anyone suggest why I am not able to create a new plesk user please?

Good practice not to share your admin account details.

What kind of user are your trying to create? An additional admin account, a customer (or reseller) account? And what would be an example of an password that you tried but didn't work?

I am trying to create another admin account - but I have also tried selecting Application User and Accountant - with the same result.

The following passwords all fail because "he password length must be between 5 and 255 characters":

eMzPKFQPN4NQuF
oaD#p]AgVyD!CibXcADJ3Q6v
3m4kUog6dw2xHv
G23Ae28d..L@P3V#
JE_s)b#=&t_za+Zo&4
iARdfzVwMqjqByXP2VMKkZGmVqvZEQiq
PhwpJQrxeYv4mVmBtxLj3Patm4H6uJdsGV3vGKvJHCnpe

Strange, I am not able to replicate the issue on my servers. Could you perhaps post a screenshot (blur out any sensitive info) of the user creation?

Sure. See below - I made up the email address to show you what I mean but the error also occurs with the real (verified) external email I have been trying to use.

plesk-error.png

I have tried to reproduce this on Debian 11 with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54.

Could you please update to the latest Plesk version and test again? I remember one issue with passwords in previous versions that triggered an error, but it does not seem to occur in the latest Plesk. Please test it after upgrading to the latest version and let us know whether that solves the issue.

Thank you both for trying to help. It appears the problem may be more to do with my understanding of the system perhaps.

I have tried to update my plesk per your suggestion (tools->update) it takes me to a new page which requests login details. But the admin credentials I was logged into plesk with do not work so I'm not sure I'm understanding which account I'm supposed to be using.

The login error suggests I need to login with the user account of the operating system. I have verified I have this correct by logging in to debian on the console with the same user/password so I definitely have it correct.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding how plesk works? Surely the account on the actual computer is allowed to update plesk?

Sorry please disregard above post - it won't let me edit or delete the post. I was indeed misunderstanding which account was root on my system!

I will update to latest version per above request and advise outcome

You need to be logged in to the GUI with the user "admin", or you can run # plesk installer from the console as root.

Thanks - I have updated Plesk to 18.0.54 and the problem has indeed been resolved.

Thanks very much for your assistance - very much appreciated.

Back