• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cannot install or retrieve license key

mazo0012

New Pleskian
Hello,

I use :
CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
Plesk 12 Edition Web Pro
Dedicated server at OVH not updated

We are currently unable to access Plesk, the system asks us to renew the license but it is neither possible to recover the licenses, nor to switch to the old license, nor to enter a license key.
However, we have a valid license key renewed and paid for every month through our host.

I get the following error message when connecting to Plesk:
Error: The license key is invalid. To use Plesk, please obtain and install a new valid license key.
Your license key has expired. To continue using your version of Plesk, you must purchase a commercial license key that does not expire.

When I click on "Recover licenses", I get a new error:
Unable to connect to license server https://alternate.ka.plesk.com/xmlrpc.
cURL error description: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)(77)

When I click on "Install key", I enter the activation code and validate, then I get another error:
Error: Unable to connect to license server https://id-00.kaid.swsoft.com:5224/.
cURL error description: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)(77)

What should I do to get Plesk working again? Can I continue to use Plesk 12 as is?

Thank you in advance.

I think the issue is related to a corrupt, outdated, or missing certificate file. You can try to reinstall the CentOS ca-certificates. One approach is described in trying to reinstall ca-certs on centos
Code:
wget --no-check-certificate http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/ca-certificates-2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8.noarch.rpm || curl -k http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/ca-certificates-2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8.noarch.rpm -o ca-certificates-2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8.noarch.rpm

I used the command above because yum reinstall didn't work, the package ca-certificates-2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8.noarch.rpm can't be reinstalled because it was this package ca-certificates-2014.1.98-70.0.el7_0.noarch which was installed.

So now the new certificate 2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8 is successfully installed, but in Plesk there is already te same bug, there is no change...
Please note that when I try the retrieve the licences, Plesk tries to connect to this URL https://alternate.ka.plesk.com/xmlrpc, whereas it doesn't exist anymore!

How to tell to Plesk to connect on the good URL? How to update the new certificate in Plesk?

Thank you again.

The alternate.ka.plesk.com URL is correct. All Plesk versions 12.x and older are managed by it. On that infrastructure Plesk provides legacy SSL/TLS versions and ciphers for similar cases like the one that you experience. For the case that you describe above the recommendation is to obtain the license .xml file and install it manually on the server. You can get that file from your vendor (OVH). They should also deliver licensing support, because you got the license from them and not from Plesk directly.

Before you invest time into this: You do know that you could simply have the newest Plesk version with the same license that you already bought, do you? Would it not be better to use this opportunity to switch to a newer server with the latest Plesk? You are currently missing out on so many features and improvements.

Migrating our server is a long and difficult task that we haven't planned yet, so for now we just want Plesk to work like before!

I asked OVH to provide me the license.xml file. In the meantime, could you tell me the procedure to follow to install this file on the server?

Thank you again for your help.

I'm sorry but OVH does not want to provide us the license file.

They say it's a firewall configuration problem, what do you think? Thanks!

Here is OVH’s response:
Your server cannot reach the license server due to a network blockage, so I invite you to check your firewalls and other configurations from your server via SSH.

It is possible that it is a firewall issue. Make sure that all the ports mentioned in the follow article are open on your server, but also in the OVH firewall that is in front of your server:
Hello,

We have checked out firewall configuration with iptables, all seems to be already good...
OVH doesn't offer us a firewall front of server.

So do you have any other idea to help us please?

Could we have access to the logs to see what is the problem exactly?

Thanks again.

Most definitely OVH operates firewalls in front of their servers. Anyway, if they are of no help in this case I can only recommend to migrate to a recent Plesk version. Plesk 12 is long out of support here, so we cannot offer technical assistance for this outdated installation. Migrating is not that difficult. You'll only need to spin-up a new server, install Plesk and the free Plesk Migrator extension on it and then migrate your websites.

Hello,

Sorry but your answer isn't helping us because we needn't a new server.

Could you tell us where to find the log files please?

I know that Plesk 12 is not supported anymore, but we are paying for it every month!

Thank you for your help.

Sorry but your answer isn't helping us because we needn't a new server.
I am not sure whether this is a good strategy.

Could you tell us where to find the log files please?
Sure, it's all available in this KB article: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...r-Linux-services-logs-and-configuration-files

I know that Plesk 12 is not supported anymore, but we are paying for it every month!
That is your free decision. You could also get an up-to-date software for it that does not give you the headaches you are currently suffering. But after all it your own decision to keep running into problems instead by trying to keep the old software.

Hello,

There is no firewall problem, I have disabled it and the problem is still here...

Could you check this post below and tell me how to change it in the Plesk configuration please ?
swsoft.com ??? This company does not exist a lot of years. What is your Plesk version? We are Plesk now and our Key Administrator address is ka.plesk.com

Thanks again !

I've checked with staff. They say that the id-00.kaid.swsoft.com can be ignored, because it is only a fallback for the real license server in case the real server cannot be reached. The root cause for the failure is a false or outdated certificate configuration on your server. This is an operating system issue, probably the root certificates were not updated and now they are out of date. You'll need to solve that certificate issue on your operating system in order to being able to fix the other issues.

Back