• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS 8 support

CentOS 8.1 is not in that range that 7 is for now. First look if all your needed packages are available for 8 at the moment.
Or you have to build them by your self. Probably with CentOS 8.2 (incl. Epel 8.2 Repo) the most packages will be available.
Only if all your needed packages are present, then I would advise you to think about to install plesk on a CentOS 8.
Just my 2 cents ;)

CentOS 8.1 is not in that range that 7 is for now. First look if all your needed packages are available for 8 at the moment.
Or you have to build them by your self. Probably with CentOS 8.2 (incl. Epel 8.2 Repo) the most packages will be available.
Only if all your needed packages are present, then I would advise you to think about to install plesk on a CentOS 8.
Just my 2 cents ;)
I don't believe Plesk would release half-baked CentOS support where people need to deal with missing packages - to begin with.

Also I don't think we'll have to wait for CentOS 8 support until CentOS is at version 8.2 either.

I may be wrong though.

With CentOS 8 you must switch to NetworkManager from systemd-networks. Anyone concerned about it?

nope - what ever OS my Customers will give me - I will handle it..
Not particularly but maybe we're not informed enough. Is there something you suggest we consider and how does this concern outweigh potentially the advances CentOS 8 presents vs. 7. Thanks.

Waited five months to post here. Wondering if there is an ETA or workaround to install Plesk on Centos 8? I hope to solve critical issues like email autoconfigure and the neverending email cert issue - especially on IOS devices - Lastly, a little off topic, can anyone confirm if let's encrypt works in Plesk Obsidian? I plan to upgrade all our servers to all the latest builds of everything and I want to make sure I do not lose any functionalities. Thanks everyone!

First of all, I can't tell you how pleased we are with Plesk. It has helped us a lot and will definitely help us in te future!

Second, we've got a waiting list for customers that want to upgrade from CentOS 6, which becomes EOL on Nov 30th 2020. With that in mind, our customers would really like to have their VPS upgraded to a newer version of CentOS, before that time is here, and very much preferably skipping CentOS 7.

Would it be viable to say that the CentOS 8 support will be added within about a month time, or maybe two or three months? It'll save us (and our customers) a lot of time if they don't have to upgrade and migrate to CentOS 7 first and a second time to CentOS 8 in a short period of time. It's a very time consuming process.

Could the Plesk development team at least give us a percentage of how far the support of CentOS 8 is coming along? We can't keep our customers waiting without any information, like we're doing now...

First of all, I can't tell you how pleased we are with Plesk. It has helped us a lot and will definitely help us in te future!

Second, we've got a waiting list for customers that want to upgrade from CentOS 6, which becomes EOL on Nov 30th 2020. With that in mind, our customers would really like to have their VPS upgraded to a newer version of CentOS, before that time is here, and very much preferably skipping CentOS 7.

Would it be viable to say that the CentOS 8 support will be added within about a month time, or maybe two or three months? It'll save us (and our customers) a lot of time if they don't have to upgrade and migrate to CentOS 7 first and a second time to CentOS 8 in a short period of time. It's a very time consuming process.

Could the Plesk development team at least give us a percentage of how far the support of CentOS 8 is coming along? We can't keep our customers waiting without any information, like we're doing now...

I agree on everything, word for word.
It is the same thing that I have asked many times.
We do not want to have a precise date, we are not asking for a deadline ... we simply need an estimate to get an idea of the time it may take. A month? Six months? One year?

Because if you tell us that it will still take at least three months, I can tell my customers "let's wait a little longer, and then update to CentOs 8" ... or, if you tell us that it will take another year then I could tell the my customers "let's switch to CentOs 7 and then, in a couple of years we'll switch to CentOs 8".

Instead in the current situation customers ask to switch to CentOs 8, I answer that it is not yet possible, they ask when it will be possible and I have to answer "I don't know" .... it's not very nice ...

I wait since November for a statement, because I need to move to a new server. I also would like to migrate directly to the new CentOs instead using the old one and plan the next migration in a year...

I wait since November for a statement, because I need to move to a new server. I also would like to migrate directly to the new CentOs instead using the old one and plan the next migration in a year...
FYI this absence of at least some kind of approximation on a timeline - forced us to think about another solution and we actually moved to something else (not Plesk - far from it but it works for now). I understand delays. They are very often in development. However lack of some clear path which can be served to your customers is very worrying.

Even paths can be delayed, ETA moved and so on. But then lack of providing some approximation is worrying to me it really is.

It's like they are sending the message "Plesk team is so messed up that we actually can't tell you what is happening and when it's happening".

Note that i am pretty sure CentOS 8 support is imminent which would explain their silence - however damage is done.

Last edited:
Back