• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Change default value of "Preferred domain"

IT Genie

New Pleskian
Hello,

Is there a way to change the default value of the "Preferred domain" option in the hosting settings of domains in Plesk 11.5? When ever i create a new subscription/domain it just defaults to the value of "domain.ltd" and i have to go into the hosting settings and manually change it to "None". Is there a way i can set it to use the "None" option every time i create new subscriptions or domains?

When I create a new domain with my plesk, I have the option to choose [None] and when I do, it stays [None]. Have I mis-understood your question?

Hello,

I think you may have mis-understood. The problem i am having is that every time i create a new domain in my Plesk panel, the "Preferred domain" value is always set to "domain.ltd" by default, i can manually go into the domain after creating it and change this value to "None" but i do not want to have to do this every time a domain is created. Is there a way the default value of "Preferred domain" can be set to "None" every time a domain is created?

Perhaps we are creating domains from different interfaces :) otherwise, with mine when I create a domain right there am given the option to choose weather NONE or "domain.ltd". So if you don't want the preset "domain.ltd" then right there change it to "None" before creating the domain ..

May I kindly request you to send me a print screen of your interface?

IT Genie,

Will you please describe a bit - why do you need to set "Preferred domain" to NONE?
This means that WWW.domain.TLD and domain.TLD are 2 different websites from Google crawler point of view (so, no HTTP redirect).

IT Genie,

Will you please describe a bit - why do you need to set "Preferred domain" to NONE?
This means that WWW.domain.TLD and domain.TLD are 2 different websites from Google crawler point of view (so, no HTTP redirect).

Maybe because this decision should be up to the panels end user? The default option is "domain.tld"...just have a guess what happened after migrating a site to a fresh Plesk 11 installation: infinite redirect loop cause the site forced to redirect to "www.domain.tld" within it's .htaccess file.

Best option: allow to define a default value for the "preferred domain" setting. Could be that easy...

Maybe because this decision should be up to the panels end user? The default option is "domain.tld"...just have a guess what happened after migrating a site to a fresh Plesk 11 installation: infinite redirect loop cause the site forced to redirect to "www.domain.tld" within it's .htaccess file.
Best option: allow to define a default value for the "preferred domain" setting. Could be that easy...

Hi bruslow,

Thanks for sharing!
Currently there is an option to define default seo redirect for new (or newly migrated) domains:
1) Copy /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domain/domainVirtualHost.php to /usr/ local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/domain

2) Edit /usr/ local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/domain/domainVirtualHost.php:
replace section "domain/service/seoSafeRedirects.php" with desired type of redirect (or simply remove it)

Need option in Service Plans or CBM Plans to change Preferred Domain

We think the bug/issue here is that, even currently, there is no option in Service Plans or CBM Plans to set the Preferred Domain.

So all new subscriptions are provisioned with domain.tld as the preferred domain (PLESK PANEL > subscriptions > click any subscription > Websites & domains > Hosting Settings link)

Hi bruslow,

Thanks for sharing!
Currently there is an option to define default seo redirect for new (or newly migrated) domains:
1) Copy /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domain/domainVirtualHost.php to /usr/ local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/domain

2) Edit /usr/ local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/domain/domainVirtualHost.php:
replace section "domain/service/seoSafeRedirects.php" with desired type of redirect (or simply remove it)

Hi earthskater,
We think the bug/issue here is that, even currently, there is no option in Service Plans or CBM Plans to set the Preferred Domain.
So all new subscriptions are provisioned with domain.tld as the preferred domain (PLESK PANEL > subscriptions > click any subscription > Websites & domains > Hosting Settings link)

Agree, this is not convenient during transfer. We will take a look on this.

Thank you, and although this thread is about Linux, the same applies to Windows. I assume the solution will involve adding the option to set the default Preferred Domain in both Plesk panel service plans and CBM plans.

Hi earthskater,

Agree, this is not convenient during transfer. We will take a look on this.

Hi bruslow,

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Guys;

On Windows Server, what do I have to to do change this default value?

Tks

Breno

BrenoB, JTRipper,

Sorry, it is not possible to do this on Plesk 11.5 for Windows.

Hi Alexey,

any chance to see this option in Plesk Windows 12.xx ?
Our customers are ordering tens of domains every week and every time we have to go to plesk and disable this option manually which is daily waste of time for our staff...

Hello,

Is there a way to change the default value of the "Preferred domain" option in the hosting settings of domains in Plesk 11.5? When ever i create a new subscription/domain it just defaults to the value of "domain.ltd" and i have to go into the hosting settings and manually change it to "None". Is there a way i can set it to use the "None" option every time i create new subscriptions or domains?
This is an old thread, but it came up first when I was searching unsuccessfully for a solution to this very problem. I found the answer myself. You cannot change the default domain under "service plans", as you might think. It is under "Tools & Settings" / "Server Settings".

Back