• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Changing The Static IP

EricHamby

Basic Pleskian
I got a email from my ISP stating they were changing my IPs, Netmasks, PNS, SNS, and the Gateway. Can i just add this into the panel or do i need to edit the network file in Centos itself?

I don't know for sure, but I would say that since netmask and gateway etc are changing, you will need to edit the ifcfg-ethX:Y files and the hosts files etc, restart the network to make sure you still have connectivity, then use the plesk reconfigurator ( /usr/local/psa/bin/reconfigurator ) to change the IPs on all your domains in one go, either automatically or via a map file.

Console access is essential in case you make an error (or make sure someone at your data centre is on hand to connect a keyboard and monitor to fix things if they go wrong).

After the reconfigure, check the list of IP addresses in Plesk to make sure it looks correct. Be sure also to check as many DNS records as you can after the reconfigure to make sure all is well there too. Check subdomains and domain aliases as well.

I got a email from my ISP stating they were changing my IPs, Netmasks, PNS, SNS, and the Gateway. Can i just add this into the panel or do i need to edit the network file in Centos itself?

Plesk can manage the IPs for you ...So Yes, if you set it in plesk before your ISP makes the change, when the change is over the new IPs will auto take effect ..

Plesk can manage the IPs for you ...

I didn't know you could do that. Where are the network settings configured in the GUI? I can't find them :-( [ as you can tell, I've never tried to do this through Plesk, so I am probably looking in the wrong place].

Eric: Whichever method you use, remember to change any nameserver glue (host) records at your registrar to point to your new IPs. You may also like to reduce the TTL setting in your SOA so that your IP changes are noticed more quickly by the internet at large (e.g. if you have a long TTL, e.g. 24 hours, in theory it is possible that some systems may cache your old IPs for a long time before doing a lookup and finding the new IPs).

Note that there is both "TTL" and "minimum" in the Plesk SOA settings. These are one of those things that are "the same but different" and indeed my understand of the difference between the two is sketchy to say the least. But I don't think I'd be too incorrect in saying the main setting to worry about here is the TTL, although you should probably set both to relatively small values, e.g. 30 minutes, a few days before the IP transition date. You can then put them back to something a little longer after the dust has settled.

(basically if there's no TTL defined for a particular resource record then "minimum" is used as the TTL value, or something like that at any rate. In addition, minimum is used to define how long an a record not found response is considered valid e.g. if you lookup an A record for subdomain.domain.tld and there's no record in the DNS, the fact that there's no record is cached for the "minimum" period - another lookup isn't made instantly if you try again. At least that's the way I understand it. I may be wrong)

lol cant be easy can it lol

Nope! There's always something to trip you up, which is why it is important to test and prepare well before the switchover -- and that's exactly what you are doing, so that's great!

Anyway, you found that all you need to do is edit the file with a text editor.

This problem IP address....where does it show up? I mean does it show up when you look at the list of IPs in Plesk (Tools & Settings > IP Addresses) ?
Or is it that you are trying to make the change to the new IP before it is active on your server? Or something else?

So basically can you give more details please?

Hi Faris,

As I can read out of the post, the error is being displayed using reconfigurator.pl!

Please doublecheck, that you edited the correct One!

Well i got 1 out of three servers up and going pretty simple.. or least its working is all i can say... not sure if its the way it should be. The issue im having the server #1 is that i had tried to add the IP through the panel, which didn't work very well. Now i am unable to delete it in the panel which i need to because i want to use reconfigurator.pl. I cant delete it because im having to use the ip to log in the panel. Do we have a command to delete the extra ip?

Back