• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Converting E-Mail POP3 usernames from '[email protected]' to 'test' only?

K

K.A.K

we are currently moving some clients to a new server from Plesk server.

Hereby we've expericenced a small hurdle concerning E-Mail accounts setups:
on their old servers quite often they'd use usernames for a mail account (let's say [email protected]) in the style of their whole address ([email protected]), whereas on this server here, we'd use just "test" as their username.

Obviously this has the potential to create some support issues, since some of those users will need to change their outlook settings... their iphone settings... etc etc...

question: is there some way in this version of plesk this can be changed on a "PER-DOMAIN" level?

many thx in advance,

Kubi

I have the same question.
Is there a way to leave the @domain. The domain is already used in the smtp adress.

QMail allows (or used to allow) the selection of either username, or [email protected] using the Mail Settings panel.

However Postfix (quite rightly) removed this; for both security and usability reasons. Imagine [email protected] and [email protected] - conflict of usernames with these; and usernames allow a hacker to try info, admin etc etc as usernames with a dictionary of passwords.

@matt-clements:
Besides the username and password you have to use a server. Mostly pop.domain.com. So having 2 info@ adresses is not a problem. The server is different (pop.domain.com and pop.other-domain.com)

And it is also for security reasons that i would like to have a username that is not related to the mail adress. You can have dom001 as an username instead of info of [email protected]. So both the username and password are not related to the mail adress.

The issue is that pop.domain.com and pop.other-domain.com both point to the same IP - and therefore cannot be differentiated against by the server (as POP/IMAP/Postfix servers all listen by IP, rather than the hostname).

A username not related to the mail address didn't even exist within QMail, and I don't think you will ever get this unless you do a lot of hacking around with the database (technically the mail_accounts table might allow you to change the username - but don't do this within a Live environment without lots of testing).

The long and short is that this is not really the way to do things, and I wouldn't recommend.

I would just take the hit, notify everyone of the upgrade - switch everyone's PC that you have access to overnight - and any users that have issues will have to contact you for the new details (or you issue them an instruction booklet).

Regards,
Matt

Back