• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Disk usage calculation is wrong

pmg

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.61.5
Hi there,

I know this questions has been asked multiple times, I have read through all related posts starting from 2009 (yes, 15 years from now), however I still can not understand current consensus.
Right now I observe following behavior (after running all CLI commands suggested to recalculate):
In customer domain list UI (Websites and Domains tab):
- Domain attached to subscription shows 1.5Gb (actually using 1.6 Kb)
- 2nd domain shows using 0.5Mb (actually 180Mb + DB)
- 3rd domain shows 0.2Mb (actually 525Mb + DB)
- 4th domain shows 0Mb (actually 462Mb + DB)
In statistics tab:
- Total is shown 1.3Gb
- Web - 1.14Gb (actual 1.2Gb which I guess is pretty close, depending on how you calculate)
- DB - 127Mb
- Backup - 0Mb ( actual more than 1Gb)
Databases tab (which doesn't adds up to 127Mb):
- DB#1 shows 17.0Mb
- DB#2 shows 25.3Mb
- DB#3 shows 6.64Mb

Considering huge customer base claimed by Plesk and the fact that we bill our customers and reseller based on hosting plans with certain resource limits assigned I believe this is Critical and had to be addressed once and for all. The example for subscription outlined above gives ZERO visibility for a customer into his/her resource usage.
This example also demonstrates that customer's resource usage is actually 2X higher than shown in UI, which can translate into 50% revenue lost for Plesk customers.

PS: I have XFS file-system with quotas enabled (not sure how disk usage is calculated), but no hard-limits are set

Yeah, the disk space and traffic shown on the domain card (below the website's thumb nail) aren't entirely accuarte. That's because the diskspace and traffic gets calculated on subscription level, not for each (sub)domain within a subscription separately. So the subscription domain holds almost all resources and the statistics of all other (sub) domain within a subscription on reflect the size of the configuration and log files. We're aware of this limitation, but there are currently no plans to rectify this.

There is a feature request on UserVoice to address the disk space shown for each domain. Which you can vote for to get implemented.

However resource usage of subscriptions (shown in the statistics tab) should accurately reflect the actual usage.
In statistics tab:
- Total is shown 1.3Gb
- Web - 1.14Gb (actual 1.2Gb which I guess is pretty close, depending on how you calculate)
- DB - 127Mb
- Backup - 0Mb ( actual more than 1Gb)
Backups, when created via the backup manager and stored locally, should be included in the calculation. However it's possible to exclude those via the options at Tools & Settings > Server Settings. If, like in your case, backups aren't included in the calculation it's worth checking these settings first.

The database size mentioned in the Statistics is the the actual size being consumed to store the whole database on the disk of your server. If you run the command sudo du -h /var/lib/mysql/<database_name> (for all databases in a subscription) should get you the same size as shown in the statistics tab.
Databases tab (which doesn't adds up to 127Mb):
- DB#1 shows 17.0Mb
- DB#2 shows 25.3Mb
- DB#3 shows 6.64Mb
The smaller size displayed with your database list in Plesk is the size only of the (raw)data stored in it (not what's actually consumed on disk).

Back