• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved DNS does not start via systemd

Michael E

New Pleskian
Hello,

i have a problem with starting bind9 as a service. systemctl start bind9.service waits about 15 seconds on the console.

OS ‪Debian 9.7‬
Product Plesk Onyx
Version 17.8.11 Update #37,

systemctl start bind9.service shows:

â bind9.service - BIND Domain Name Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bind9.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Sun 2019-02-03 17:30:51 UTC; 13s ago
Docs: man:named(8)
Process: 22403 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named $OPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CPU: 48ms

Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com systemd[1]: bind9.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: shutting down
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: stopping command channel on 127.0.0.1#953
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: no longer listening on ::#53
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: no longer listening on 127.0.0.1#53
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: no longer listening on 87.106.127.25#53
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com named[22403]: no longer listening on 172.17.0.1#53
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com systemd[1]: Failed to start BIND Domain Name Server.
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com systemd[1]: bind9.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 03 17:30:51 download5.hh-software.com systemd[1]: bind9.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.

When I call bind directly (/usr/sbin/named -f -t /var/named/run-root -c /etc/named.conf -u bind -n 2) I have no problems.

I have already tried: plesk repair dns

Checking the DNS configuration file ................................. [OK]

Restoring DNS server configuration

Synchronize DNS zones with the DNS server? [Y/n] Y
Synchronizing DNS zones with the DNS server ..................... [OK]

Error messages: 0; Warnings: 0; Errors resolved: 0

I think it's something to do with the Service Manager systemd.

Thanks, Michael.

Could you please post here [Service] section of /lib/systemd/system/bind9.service file here?

Hello,

my bind9.service:

[Unit]
Description=BIND Domain Name Server
Documentation=man:named(8)
After=network.target
Wants=nss-lookup.target
Before=nss-lookup.target

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/bind9
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named $OPTIONS
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/rndc reload
ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rndc stop

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The value for $OPTIONS is -f -t /var/named/run-root -c /etc/named.conf -u bind -n defined in /etc/default/bind9

Try to remove line

Type=forking

and change line

to

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named -f $OPTIONS

after that try to start bind9.

I have removed type=forking and changed

to

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named -f $OPTIONS

Though ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named -f $OPTIONS makes no sense for me as OPTIONS contains already -f (OPTIONS=-f -t /var/named/run-root -c /etc/named.conf -u bind -n)

unfortunately it does not solve the problem. The console hangs at systemctl start bind9.service for 15-20 secondes. I would expect the prompt should apear in time?

I did a recent update from debian 9 to 10 and I did encounter the same issue - and today there was an update to the bind package which changed my /lib/systemd/system/bind9.service back to containing "type=forking" and the missing -f.
is there something broken with my bind install that is does not work with the default setting the package seems to want?
should I remove bind via plesk installer and add it again to fix it in the long run?

I also have to change the bind9.service after every update to remove the "type=forking".

@Plesk team: Can you please check what is wrong here.

Please open a support ticket with Plesk support so that an engineer can check it on your server.

Back