• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

dns solution: edits to named.conf and includes: yea or nay??

A

alienation

My team and I are trying to implement a DNS solution in which we use two machines that host sites (running plesk 7.5.4) as our hosting company’s official nameservers, ie ns1 and ns2.

For a given domain, one of these machines, the one who actually hosts the domain, will be the master nameserver, using plesk’s innate bind configuration to broadcast the zone data. The other machine would then need to be a slave for that zone.

Here is my main question. Is there any reason that plesk might become irate or stop working if I add slave zone records to it’s named.conf file? My guess is it would just ignore anything it wasn’t looking for, but it can’t hurt to ask.

My second question involves TTL values. I know that the TTL value for a zone is stored in that domain’s include file which is referenced in named.conf. It is unfortunate that Plesk will not let you change TTL’s through the GUI… so a similar question: if I was to change the TTL for a domain by (carefully, say by commandline “replace 86400 1800 – domain.tldâ€) editing this include file, is Plesk likely to freak out or will it not even notice?

Lastly, covering both of these two issues, are the named.conf file and it’s includes regularly regenerated from Plesk’s official list of domains so that whatever changes I made would quickly be overwritten? That would be the ultimate deal-killer for this solution in its infancy.

Thank you in advance very much for your time and consideration.

Allen Williams

I know from experience that you can add slave zone info to the named.conf file and Plesk 7.5.x will not mess with it, nor choke from it.

As to TTL for hosted domains, if you have phpMyAdmin, look in the table 'misc' for things like 'SOA_TTL'

To allow another DNS server to retrieve DNS info from the Plesk server, again in table 'misc' you would add a param 'DNS_Allow_Transfer0' with the val being the IP address of the other DNS server.

Of course, you should always have backups of all the bind files (config and zone files) in any case.

I didn't find this there...

hello,

theres unfortuantely nothing that looks like any of that in that table. i didn't see anywhere else obvious to look either.

this is plesk 7.5.4. are you sure thats where it should be, or can someone review this information and correct this?

thanks a lot!!

allen

Sorry, you would have to add additional entries into the 'misc' table. They don't exist by default.

Back