• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved DNS Templates

paddaone1

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello everyone.

I apologize in advance for this question that might seem obvious or stupid to a lot of people but I'm kinda of stuck, Trying to understand how that works.
Anyway, I don't understand the concept of this DNS thingy.

I have a dedicated Linux server hosted with a provider and have some domains hosted on it for friends and family.
We bought some domains from a registrar (gandi or cloudflare) and set on their interface DNS pointing to this server for each domain (A, MX, CNAME records).

What I don't understand is why I would have PLESK be set as a DNS server as well... What is the mechanism that requires somewhere that I set DNS in PLESK?

I also have created some subscriptions in plesk such as 10G email account or 100G hosting.
This means that if someone wants to get an email address account on my server, he will have to purchase a domain name, and :
Just indicate the registrar a name server (ns.domaine_of_my_plesk.com) and it will point automatically to the plesk server?
or
Whatelse??

Then if this is the solution, how do I create a template so each different subscription has its own template?

Does this make sense???
Thank you for your help!!!

If you have nameservers at your registrar, you do not need to use Plesk as nameserver for the domains. In such a case you could even deinstall the Plesk DNS, because it will not be needed as you are doing all your nameserver configurations at your domain registrar.

If you find Plesk DNS more comfortable and also wish to have all your configurations in one place, then you can use your Plesk as nameserver. However, many domain TLDs require to have 2 different IPs in 2 subnets. If you choose to take this route, enter your Plesk as the name server for your domains into your domain dataset.

If you have nameservers at your registrar, you do not need to use Plesk as nameserver for the domains. In such a case you could even deinstall the Plesk DNS, because it will not be needed as you are doing all your nameserver configurations at your domain registrar.

If you find Plesk DNS more comfortable and also wish to have all your configurations in one place, then you can use your Plesk as nameserver. However, many domain TLDs require to have 2 different IPs in 2 subnets. If you choose to take this route, enter your Plesk as the name server for your domains into your domain dataset.
Thank you very much for your answer. Got it!

Back