• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Woes

S

SimonD

Hi, All

I have a server with 1and1 which runs plesk, After following their advice on the phone to set up custom nameservers my server is now dead apart from access via IP (this has been going on 3 weeks and over 20 emails/calls to 1and1 who dont seem to care.

I would love some help in resolving this issue as its costing me money any info you need please let me know and I will reply with it, (Im used to cpanel not plesk)

Thanks Again

Simon

Hi,

Setting up private nameservers can be done at your registrar. You need to create 2 A records for ex ns1.domain and ns2.domain . Define these two as nameservers for the domain. The A records have to point to the ips of your server. If you have a com domain then you can use one ip for both of them, though its not standard like. (if the ips would differ would not matter that much since they are on the same server -> bind down 2 nameservs are down )

Wait for 24-48 hours propagation time and they are ready to be used.

Then configure the dns template at Server > DNS for future setups.

Even if currently the zones are not containing the new private nameservers they will work ok since the private ns's are pointing to the server and bind handles them. For a more standard setup you will have to change the dns of the domains inside plesk though.

There are a number of posts on the forum about how to set up DNS.

We have a step by step howto on our site at http://www.cymru1.net/linux-vps/vps-hints-and-tips.php (Click on the Understanding and Setting Up DNS section). The screen shots are for Plesk 8.x rather than for 9.x but the actual steps/requirements are the same. Maybe you'll find a clue to where you went wrong in there somewhere.

Essentially, you create your nameserver hosts records for your "main" domain via your domain registrar's control panel, with the IPs pointing to two IPs that are assigned to your Plesk box. e.g. ns1 and ns2.yourmaindomain.com

In the DNS records for yourmaindomain.com in Plesk, you create two A records, one for ns1 and one for ns2.yourmaindomain.com also pointing to two IPs that are assigned to your Plesk box.

You also need to create two ns records for yourmaindomain.com, ns1 and ns2.yourmaindomain.com in the DNS records for yourmaindomain.com in Plesk.

In addition, you then need to set the nameservers for yourmaindomain.com to be ns1.yourmaindomain.com and ns2.yourmaindomain.com -- this is done via your registrar's control panel.

All domains you host in plesk need this latter step too, and you also need to make sure that the DNS records in plesk for all domains you host also have two ns records of ns1 and ns2.yourmaindomain.com

Also try using www.dnsreport.com to help trouble-shoot what's wrong.

Faris.

Back