• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

do-release-upgrade fails on Parallels packages - Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04

eugenevdm

Regular Pleskian
Ubuntu 10.04
do-release-upgrade to 12.04 fails.
Plesk 11.0.9 has all updates.

Upgrade error:

Code:
Could not calculate the upgrade 

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade: 
E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be 
caused by held packages. 

This can be caused by: 
* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu 
* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu 
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu 

If none of this applies, then please report this bug using the 
command 'ubuntu-bug update-manager' in a terminal. 

Restoring original system state

Aborting

Relevant log file:

Code:
root@cp9:~# tail -f /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log 
Investigating (9) libodbc1 [ amd64 ] < none -> 2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3 > ( libs )
Broken libodbc1:amd64 Breaks on unixodbc [ amd64 ] < 2.2.11-21 -> 2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3 > ( libs ) (< 2.2.14p2-3)
  Considering unixodbc:amd64 2 as a solution to libodbc1:amd64 3
  Upgrading unixodbc:amd64 due to Breaks field in libodbc1:amd64
Investigating (9) unixodbc [ amd64 ] < 2.2.11-21 -> 2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3 > ( libs )
Broken unixodbc:amd64 Depends on odbcinst1debian2 [ amd64 ] < none -> 2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3 > ( libs ) (>= 2.2.11-3)
  Considering odbcinst1debian2:amd64 6 as a solution to unixodbc:amd64 2
  Holding Back unixodbc:amd64 rather than change odbcinst1debian2:amd64
Done
Log time: 2013-04-18 21:28:47.590464
^C
root@cp9:~# apt-get remove unixodbc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  lib32bz2-1.0 pwgen libdevel-symdump-perl libtokyocabinet8 xsltproc bind9 sharutils log4cpp-plesk libv4l-0 lib32ncurses5 psa-pear php5-xsl postfix
  ia32-libs bind9utils libnet-xwhois-perl unzip pp-sitebuilder-default-templates awstats postfix-pcre libboost-program-options1.40.0 php5-sqlite
  xinetd libsqlite0 php5-gd libapache2-reload-perl libc6-i386 psa-spf2 lib32gcc1 libcrypt-rijndael-perl lib32asound2 psa-courier-imap php5-curl
  libt1-5 psa11-php-fakepackage mailman psa-ftputil libbsd-resource-perl libapache2-mod-rpaf sw-cp-server libapache2-mod-python libmyodbc libasound2
  php5-ioncube-loader libxpm4 psa-locale-base-en-us libapache2-mod-perl2 webalizer libgd2-xpm php5-imap zip libdb4.7 bsd-mailx lib32z1 php5-mysql
  lib32stdc++6 php5-cli lib32v4l-0 sqlite3 pp-sitebuilder-skins sw-libmilter sw-libsqlite3-0 libcrypt-cbc-perl python-libxml2 sw-doctrine
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libaps libpam-plesk librdbmspp plesk-base plesk-core plesk-l10n plesk-mail-pc-driver pp-sitebuilder pp10.13.4-bootstrapper pp11.0.9-bootstrapper
  psa psa-awstats-configurator psa-backup-manager psa-drweb-configurator psa-horde psa-imp psa-ingo psa-kronolith psa-libxml-proxy psa-logrotate
  psa-mail-driver-common psa-mailman-configurator psa-migration-agents psa-migration-manager psa-mimp psa-mnemo psa-passwd psa-php5-configurator
  psa-proftpd psa-pylibplesk psa-turba psa-updates psa-vhost sw-engine unixodbc
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 35 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
After this operation, 543MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

We do not recommend major OS upgrade for Plesk servers. Use migration manager for migration Plesk installed on old OS to Plesk installed on latest supported version of OS.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your feedback. Your participation in the forums makes a huge difference.

I guess some situations is unique. We had an Ubuntu 8.04 server and start running into
"Internal error: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver][mysqld-5.0.96-0ubuntu3]Memory allocation error"
errors accessing Plesk.

We logged service request 1626558 and were told to downgrade the MySQL or upgrade the OS to Ubuntu 10.04. I have posted the full details below.

In this case both worked:

1. We were able to downgrade the MySQL with the instructions provided.
2. As a precaution to eliminate other possible OS issues we upgraded the OS anyway. In this case, order to get the upgrade working, we have to force remove bind (because bind has a dependency on Plesk we couldn't just remove it). I wanted to take further precautions and upgrade the OS from 10.04 to 12.04 but it looks like it's not going to be easy, too many "held" issues.

The problem with migration manager is we're still stuck with Expand. We can't just migrate to another server. We have to do a full PPA migration and this is taking weeks due to unforseen problems on individual servers.

Full output of service request 162558 with regards to ODBC error (see the last sentence from your engineer):

I am able to recreate the issue. I could see the below error in Plesk Panel.

Internal error: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver][mysqld-5.0.96-0ubuntu3]Memory allocation error

I could see that the Mysql service is running fine on the As my colleague informed you already, the issue is caused by a bug in MySQL 5.

This bug was fixed in ODBC 3.51.21, so simply upgrading the connector package will resolve the problem. However this is not available for Ubuntu 8.04.

I could see your OS is Ubuntu 8.04

root@alpha:~# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS \n \l

As for the workaround you need to downgrade Mysql .To do that, please download the following packages <http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mysql-dfsg-5.0/>
libmysqlclient15off
mysql-client
mysql-common
mysql-server

And install them on the server. And please do not forget to prevent these packages for upgrading next time you run apt-get:
echo mysql-common hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo mysql-server-5.0 hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo mysql-client-5.0 hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo libmysqlclient15off hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

dpkg --get-selections | grep mysql
libmysqlclient15off hold
mysql-client-5.0 hold
mysql-common hold
mysql-server-5.0 hold

Otherwise, you can upgrade the OS to Ubuntu 10.04. This will also fix the issue.

Back