• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

domains set offline after couple of days / backup process hangs, no response

Opened a ticket with plesk via my hosting provider.

They promised me a resolution within 24 hours...

we will see.

yay! ive got a solution!

here it is, direct from 1and1 internet:
Dear [customer name], (Cust: 0000000)

Thank you for contacting 1&1

Due to the nature of the problems you are having, I would recommend backing up all of your data, and reimaging the server. This can be done through your 1&1 Control Panel. I would recommend reinstalling Apache, or even MySQL, but this may destroy the Plesk installation.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
Technical Support
1&1 Internet Inc

looks like im going to have to attempt to open a case with plesk since my isp refuses to support plesk as they were contracted to do. (sorry but reimaging a server for something like this seems RETARDED.) Its also obvious that the rep didnt even read this thread (which i emailed him) since the problem is fixed when killing the plesk backup service. Hopefully plesk can support their own product better than their resellers.

here is a reply from plesk:

we had this Expat.pm issue a long time ago, but it was already fixed in December in Plesk 7.5.0.
Please verify that you are able to backup this very domain manually. Then check the permissions for every file and directory for this domain in your file system structure.
Anyway, in the next Plesk 7.5.3 we are waiting for implementation of ability to automatically resolve the issues with wrong file permissions during the backup procedure.

The questions is... the issue occurs at random times throughout the day, plus it happens to domains that dont even have backup enabled. I replied and hopefully will get further with this.

Any update from Plesk. Our clients are going crazy over this bug. The scheduled backup would be a great feature if it worked but we've had to avoid our clients to not use it at all because it simply takes domains offline for hours and hours.

plesk says that the bug is in regard to file permissons when the backup is being performed. if the backup process does not have access to a directory, it hangs. I have tried changing ownership of files etc and it hasnt really worked. The best we can do is wait for 7.5.3 and hope (pray?) that it is tested better than 7.5.2 was. After the 7.5.2 upgrade i was unable to boot the server and had to go to recovery console. In any case, i will most likely upgrade after several days of watching forum comments, hopefully we will luck out.

I am having the same problem RH9 7.5.2 I was told to backup all the mail and the webpage and remove and reinstall the domain from my isp. It worked but only for a little while. We really need a fix for this Plesk!!!

7.5.3 is expected by the end of next week and should provide a fix.

...hopefully

if you are really desperate, you could install the beta 7.5.3 plesk rpm. Plesk betas are a bit too "beta" for my tastes

An update for those who are still with us. I have Plesk version: psa v7.5.4_build75050926.17 with FedoraCore 1. I started out with Plesk v7.5.3 but the backup option was completely broken. I can't remember the specifics but either it was unavailable or the system decided to crash if it was ever used. The version I am using does backup the domain but, the error message below is still there in the psadump log file:

psadump: Can't use string ("<?xml version="1.0"?><psa versio") as a symbol ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Expat.pm line 456.

After the domain is backed up the main page is replaced with the Plesk default page, but the domain is active. The solution I came up with is to have a cronjob graceful apache after all my scheduled backups are completed. This has been working for me so far.

Code:
/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful

One interesting bit I found through this process though is Plesk does not actually send you an error message if the disk is full. It will just silently die and not produce a dump file. To check, SSH into your server and type:
Code:
df -h

Fix

You have to stop the backup schedule. Then if you edit the httpd.conf and the include at the bottem of the file you need to re-insert the link to the domains path on the server. The reason you are recieving the plesk page is because it doesnt know where to find the domain files(HTML pages)

Good Luck, Fix it Plesk!

Then if you edit the httpd.conf and the include at the bottem of the file you need to re-insert the link to the domains path on the server.

Can you please be a little more specific as to what you mean here? Perhaps a step-by-step or a few examples in formatted code? Sorry, but when editing files (esprcially httpd.conf) you shouldn't be guessing at all.

Thanks

To recap, when Pleask perofrms a backup and encounters odd permissions in the web folder of the domain you are backing up - it will fail and set the domain to inactive,

In order to fix this - you must SSH into your domain's home and make sure all files and folders have the same ownership. I had copied a file into this filder as root once, and since then the backup stopped working. Once I chowned the file to "user.pcscln", the backups started working again.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem....

Back