• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Drweb startup failing

J

jamster

Woke up to find our server was being very slow at sending SMTP messages.

Some digging showed drwebd to not be running, and on trying to start it it showed [Failed] - the drweb log showed the following:

Wed Jun 22 10:53:22 2005 Plesk authorization failed: HTTP request error
[7]
Wed Jun 22 10:53:22 2005 Error: Plesk Software not running.

I've already done the -Rt0 trick in /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa a while ago

Any idea what this means? Is it connecting to the local plesk admin server, or a remote one?

Normally the log entries would show a few more lines:

Jun 18 04:36:13 ns2 drwebd: Key file not found!
Jun 18 04:36:13 ns2 drwebd: Plesk authorization failed: HTTP request error [7]
Jun 18 04:36:13 ns2 drwebd: Error: Plesk Software not running.
Jun 18 04:36:13 ns2 drwebd: drwebd startup failed

If yours looks like this, it means that you are still running the 'free' or limited version of Dr Web. It is only good for up to 15 mail accounts.

If you actually have a Dr Web license, then you may have to reinstall your license key.

In my logs, I also get a 2nd section of Dr Web related entries (on each bootup!) which show:

Jun 18 04:36:36 ns2 drwebd: Key file not found!
Jun 18 04:36:36 ns2 drwebd: Daemon is enabled for protecting 0 e-mail`s:
Jun 18 04:36:36 ns2 drwebd: Daemon is installed, active interfaces: 127.0.0.1:3000
Jun 18 04:36:36 ns2 drwebd: drwebd startup succeeded

(This is a test server, so it shows 0 e-mails protected)

As to your SMTP sending being slow, in a majority of cases, this is due to large numbers of messages in the queues (Spam, bounces). You can use qmHandle to see how many are in the local and remote queues.

You may also want to look at another thread for Qmail control file settings related to handling spam/bounce/doublebounce/etc.
http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=12197&highlight=doublebounceto

Thanks James,

Yes we do usually see the log file entries that you indicate. (We are testing Drweb on a limited number of mailboxes with a view to purchase).

However this time we got the Plesk http message as above, and the daemon wouldn't start. (command line or plesk interface) All very odd. It seems to be working again now, though, but it would be good to find out what causes this for the future.

Thanks for the qmail info, very helpful.

Chris.

Check the /var/log/messages file for any errors when you tried manually starting the daemon, if there are any it may point to the problem (i'm not holding my breath on this one... :D)

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Check the /var/log/messages file for any errors when you tried manually starting the daemon, if there are any it may point to the problem (i'm not holding my breath on this one... :D)

yeah I checked there first. nothing to report :(
it's all working now, but it seems very odd. would like to know how to get it working again if it happens in the future.

thanks for your help anyway

Back