• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email account management for account owners

Should Plesk provide Email Account Management for Email Account owners?

• Yes

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don´t care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HarryBleckert

Basic Pleskian
Email account management for Email Users

I am very disappointed that Parallels with Plesk 11 does not allow email account users to manage their own email accounts.

Creating role accounts for every single email account by hand is no practical solution neither for hosting providers nor for corporate users!

Why can and does Plesk 11 not offer email account management per account based on email account password, well knowing such a feature is in high demand by almost all customers??

Harry Bleckert
hivetec UG
http://hivetec.net

Last edited:
This should be easy to resolve - just create Users with associated mailbox.
You can find more details in How to make Plesk mail user with control panel access (UI)?

It would be so much easier for all of us if email account management would be accessible by mail account users!
And Plesk panel does not provide a role "mail account management only".

What is the problem in providing an interface allowing mail users to login using their email address plus email account password and provide ALL email account management features?

Well, it is matter of mixing mailbox and mail user. We need to make it better, definitely, but currently
mail account users are on Users tab and they can access email account management interface. The problem I see is that when the one creates mailbox, he or she would probably expect mail user available for it immediately. And that is what we need to improve.

Still Plesk does offer email account management per account (as long as actual user account is created - but the link above would describe the workflow).

I actually had problems with email users for some time in Plesk 10. Suddenly my email users' passwords would fail to work and so a reset of the passwords resolved the problem ...

To resolve this permanently I had to just delink the user from the mailbox and that is by deleting the user associated to the email address.

I still agree with Harry, just make it simple for every one just like the old plesk ...ie a user creates an email address and can login to the control panel with that email and password to manage there email address...

In the backend after the email is created, your script can create the email user and attach to the role of managing the mailbox only without the user them selves noticing it ...

Under Plesk 11.0.9 I did the following to create Plesk accounts for Email users:

1. Under tab "Users" I created a new "User role" which has no other rights than "Configure spam filter". Each other right would allow the email user more then just admin the mailbox settings.
2. Then I used "Create User Account" and checked the radio button "Use an external e-mail address" and entered the full email address into the field thereunder. This avoids trying to create a new mailbox, but still allows to administrate the existing mailbox with the new user account.

But, because there is no native "User role" for mailbox administration, the account has a view non-nice properties, which should be solved in future 11.x Plesk versions:

1. When logged in under Plesk as the mailbox user, you can't administrate the password of the mailbox, only the one of the Plesk user. The link under Home=>Change Mail Account Settings=>To change the mailbox password, change a password of a corresponding Panel user account by following this link leads to "Permission denied". Any more grants in the User role give the email user too much rights. This should be solved by a separate permission to administrate the mailbox and its password.

2.) Because every user must be assigned a hosting, the email user gets some false informations by Account=>My Resources=>Permissions. All these rights are not available to the email user, though it has the rights checked with green icons. Also the selected domain name is available as a link under the "My Resources" link and discloses information about the hosting which an email owner doesn't need or should not be allowed to see. This should be solved also by a separate permission to administrate the mailbox.

Thanks for taking this into account for the next release.

Christian.

Hi,
I've used the API for the creation of new email in Plesk by Php script and they work very good but I have a problem: after that I've created a new email, i can't access to the webmail, but if I go in the plesk (11.0.9) panel and I change the password of the email, I can access.

Hi,
I've used the API for the creation of new email in Plesk by Php script and they work very good but I have a problem: after that I've created a new email, i can't access to the webmail, but if I go in the plesk (11.0.9) panel and I change the password of the email, I can access.

Can you specify the API call you have used.
May be this is the problem in Plesk API and we will be able to resolve it.

Back