• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Email is blackscattered

TinaBura

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

we are again on blacklist from blackscattered.org. It says that "our mailsystem is either poorly configured or it is using abusive techniques". Our domains are all set to reject (not bounce!) emails for non-existent users. This does not help. We are still having bounce mails in the Email list:screenshot-myserver.net-8443-2019.10.01-10-56-17.png
Why? How can I configure Plesk so that it does not send any Bounce-Mails? What is wrong with Plesk?

Thank you,
Tina

Attachments

• screenshot-www.backscatterer.org-2019.10.01-10-52-25.png
    screenshot-www.backscatterer.org-2019.10.01-10-52-25.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
hum, just test this command:
ping shaxiakind.top
ping topsawbetter.top
ping shaxianature.top
ping shaxiaoperation.top

and you can see nothing responding. you can't send emails from unreachables servers.

the rules has heavily changed.

if you do not expose correct spf, dmarc & dkim rules in your domain dns, your emails will be SYSTEMATICALY rejected and your ip blacklisted.

sending email become a real science, not an easy fonctionnality that can be setted in one click..

you can't send emails from unreachables servers.
I have not sent these emails. They have been sent by spammers to non-existent users/mail on my server.

if you do not expose correct spf, dmarc & dkim rules in your domain dns, your emails will be SYSTEMATICALY rejected and your ip blacklisted.
My domain is blacklisted because Plesk sends out bounce emails despite the setting "reject" made for each domain. It means that my server "backscatters" due to the Plesk ignoring the setting.

sending email become a real science, not an easy fonctionnality that can be setted in one click..
I do not need "a one-click", I need an explanation of why Plesk sends out bounce emails for non-existent users and how I can stop it to prevent my server from being blacklisted by backscatterer.org.

Last edited:
Yes, there is indeed forwarding for some e-mail addresses to the external addresses like gmail.com.

I will give a linux console a try.

Forwarding to external addresses can sometimes cause "backscatter" bounces, even if you have the setting "reject" made for each domain. This is because mail is sent to a legitimate address on your server, so it is accepted, then, when the server tries to forward the mail, the final destination (such as Gmail) rejects it, causing your server to generate a bounce.

You might have something else going on, but this is one possibility. You'll need to look through /var/log/maillog and look at the bounce messages still in your mail queue to really determine the cause.

Not the issue here, but forwarding to external accounts, specially gmail.com, can cause some SPAM issues. If the incoming spam filter is not set properly the SPAM received -and not flagged- in the account is forwarded, which can cause blacklisting for the server.

Even if not actually blacklisted, gmail can temporary limit the emails it accepts from your server's IP.

Thank you!
I have removed the forwarding and replaced by POP3 in Gmail account. As far as I can see there are no bounce mails in the logs since the forwarding is gone. I have also implemented SPF, DKIM, and DMARC hoping to reduce incoming spam (with spoofing mail from address).

Back