• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email problems after 8.4.0 update

It's our first major issue with Plesk product, but I'm really disappointed to see the no-reactivity. I submitted the bug on the bugreport system, by support form, and on all available emails ;)

No reactivity, no automatic reply... really bad conclusion for me about a commercial product.

One solution... as swsoft obvious and as usual does NOT respond:

I restored

/usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa

from my backup (plesk 8.3.0). which has here (Suse 10.1) 80160 bytes instead of 37736 of the new version and the IMAP/POP3 problem is gone.

Either the database update failed during the upgrade for which I have indication or the new authpsa is as such broken.

At least IMAP works again.

This does NOT solve the problem with SMTP-authentication which remains broken here as well as the Plesk Control Panel not working at all.

Tested with backup of previous release (ubuntu), not working :(

Same here. I also was looking through the pop3d.rc and imapd.rc files and noticed that they point to authdaemond which they startup and which doesn't seem to exist.

I finally got it working after checking /var/db/pkg/ for all psa relevent packages, found some still at 8.3, after insuring all plesk packages were 8.4 versions and restarting psa, my mail functions work properly.

Plesk 8.4.0 writes to the wrong path when it changes this configuration option: /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/courier-imap, but the real configuration files are located in /etc/courier-imap (at least on our system).

To fix this problem manually, edit /etc/courier-imap/pop3d and /etc/courier-imap/pop3d and add the following line to the bottom of the files:

SHORTNAMES=1

Then restart courier-imap to get your short usernames working again.

Hey Parallels! Yeah, I'm talking to you!

Would it be asking to much for some sort of reply to this issue? Is it even being looked into? Do you like having customers? It really shouldn't take this long to get a response and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $150.00/hour for support for a software bug that was introduced in an upgrade. What's going on? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Please note that while I am serious about wanting some sort of response this post should not be construed as angry or threatening in any way. I am however trying to get your attention. It's been five business days since the first post and I think we'd all like to know if there is some progress being made here. I don't know if the problem is in the upgraded software or the upgrade process itself but I do believe the onus is on Parallels to address the issue whether by a new patch or a solution.

I think it's pretty clear here that we have tried pretty much everything we can and to no effect. I also understand that at least one person here submitted a bug report. I would to but I can't seem to locate a bug submission form.

Short Mail Username Inop After 8.4 Update

Plesk 8.4 writes to the wrong file. It writes the configuration to /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/courier-imap
but the real configuration files are located in /etc/courier-imap

Switch on the short usernames setting in Plesk, check what changed in the files in the incorrect path and find that it simply adds a line:

SHORTNAME=1

to the bottom of the file. Then apply this to the real configuration files, restart the mail server and now it works.

Rob Harris
http://ashopcart.com
http://ashopsoftware.com
http://ashopwebhosting.com

Would it be asking to much for some sort of reply to this issue? Is it even being looked into? Do you like having customers? It really shouldn't take this long to get a response and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $150.00/hour for support for a software bug that was introduced in an upgrade. What's going on? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Please note that while I am serious about wanting some sort of response this post should not be construed as angry or threatening in any way. I am however trying to get your attention. It's been five business days since the first post and I think we'd all like to know if there is some progress being made here. I don't know if the problem is in the upgraded software or the upgrade process itself but I do believe the onus is on Parallels to address the issue whether by a new patch or a solution.

I think it's pretty clear here that we have tried pretty much everything we can and to no effect. I also understand that at least one person here submitted a bug report. I would to but I can't seem to locate a bug submission form.

Already tried to get back to 8.3? I think thats a solution while there's no new update from Parralels.

Plesk 8.4 writes to the wrong file. It writes the configuration to /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/courier-imap
but the real configuration files are located in /etc/courier-imap

Switch on the short usernames setting in Plesk, check what changed in the files in the incorrect path and find that it simply adds a line:

SHORTNAME=1

to the bottom of the file. Then apply this to the real configuration files, restart the mail server and now it works.

Rob Harris
http://ashopcart.com
http://ashopsoftware.com
http://ashopwebhosting.com

yes and E-Mail Forwarding dont work :p or? Because i have send a mail to my box but he dont forward it but in horde i can see the mail lol :p

Already tried to get back to 8.3? I think thats a solution while there's no new update from Parralels.

It would be a solution if I had a backup from the past month that wasn't corrupt.

I'm guessing the autoinstaller would possibly allow one to install version 8.3 instead but I'm hesitant to try that.

I guess I'll back up all the sites and setting and reinstall 8.3 if that's the case. But Parallels should really at least let us know they are aware of the problem.

Yeah, your right about it, but make backup of your /etc/ vhosts qmail and mysql ? And then remove completly psa ? Dunnow what system you have installed it on ?

In debian you can change in the sources.list of apt the version to 8.3 and then update and install.

Plesk 8.4.0 writes to the wrong path when it changes this configuration option: /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/courier-imap, but the real configuration files are located in /etc/courier-imap (at least on our system).

To fix this problem manually, edit /etc/courier-imap/pop3d and /etc/courier-imap/pop3d and add the following line to the bottom of the files:

SHORTNAMES=1

Then restart courier-imap to get your short usernames working again.

I restarted my VPS from Virtuozzo and now it's OK !!!

After 8.4.0 update all domain's email accounts are not working.
I've tried mchk with no success, also reinstalling 8.3.0 qmail and courier-imap RPMs.
Nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Hello fdoibz,

Thank you for the report.
Please try to run mchk tool w/ option v

mchk -v

Hello fdoibz,

Thank you for the report.
Please try to run mchk tool w/ option v

mchk -v

I don't know about fdoibz but when I run mchk -v it gives me error messages and doesn't help at all. There error messages are:

mchk: Maildir subfolder 'cur' stat failed
System error 5: Input/output error

Although the first time I ran it there were no error messages but it didn't fix the problem.

I've also tried reinstalling the psa-qmail and psa-courier-imap packages using apt. Switching from full mail names to both short and full mail names and back.

I've tried turning off every extra mail option there is - anti-virus, spam, etc in the event one of them was interfering.

I've looked through every configuration file I could find related to email for anything that looked out of place - based on research in these forums for similar issues - everything seems to pointing in to the correct files and locations. The pop3d and imapd files both point to /etc/qmail/users/poppasswd for the location of passwords - the file is empty (which seems to be the problem) and mchk -v doesn't fix it.

This is using psa v8.4.0_build84080425.19 os_Ubuntu 7.10

The problems remains:

1. Can't check email via pop: -ERR login failed.
2. Can't check email via imap: a001 NO Login failed.
3. Can't send email via SMTP: 535 auth failure.

Email seems to be recieved from remote servers.

Please help.

Much thanks in adavance.

I forgot to mention that the mail log is full of errors like these:

May 8 15:02:18 <servername> pop3d: Connection, ip=[72.XX.XX.XXX]
May 8 15:02:23 <servername> pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [72.XX.XX.XXX]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[72.XX.XX.XXX]
May 8 15:02:38 <servername> pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [72.XX.XX.XXX]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[72.XX.XX.XXX]
May 8 15:02:43 <servername> pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [72.XX.XX.XXX]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[72.XX.XX.XXX]
May 8 15:02:48 <servername> pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [72.XX.XX.XXX]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[72.XX.XX.XXX]

and these

May 8 15:03:16 <servername> spamd[5653]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/popuser/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.$

Where <servername> being my servername and the ip address being the ip address I was connecting from.

I run mhck -v no error messages but all domain's email accounts are not working.

Sirs,

There are several problems and solutions mixed in this thread.
Let's try to summarize them to a sequence of steps and hope that it will be helpful for the majority.

1) reinstall psa-qmail and courier-imap (psa-courier-imap) packages. I mean exactly packages from Plesk 8.4.0 distribution. Do not try to use packages from previous Plesk versions.

2) run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mail_auth_dump utility

3) If you use authorization as a relay option:
In CP go to Server->Mail page. set "relaying" = closed. Click "OK" button. After that go to the page again, set desired authorization options and click OK button.

4) If you use "short names", check that there is a "SHORTNAMES=1" line in your /etc/courier-imap/imapd, imapd-ssl, pop3d, pop3d-ssl files. If it's missing, add it to the end of each file and restart courier-imap service.

5) run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

Back