• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Encrypted password auth does not work after update to plesk 10.4.4

Mshaker

Basic Pleskian
After updating from plesk 10.3 to plesk 10.4.4 CentOS 5 1013111102.18 mail users cannot authenticate using encrypted password authentication.

I tried running /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk with no success.

Running CentOS release 5.7 (Final) x64.

Please advise.

More detailed report.

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
plesk 10.4.4 CentOS 5 1013111102.18 , CentOS release 5.7 (Final), x64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
After upgrading from plesk 10.3 to plesk 10.4.4 mail users cannot authenticate using "encrypted password" auth in their mail clients (changing it to plaintext will work).

When setting up an email account in most major email clients (thunderbird, mac mail etc) it will automatically test to see what auth the server supports and choose the best one (previous plesk versions supported encrypted password auth so all the mail clients are using this).

ACTUAL RESULT
After the plesk upgrade all mail users get a password popup box telling them that they have entered the wrong password. The only fix is to switch the authentication method in their mail client to "plaintext".

EXPECTED RESULT
The mail server should support encrypted password auth like previous plesk versions

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Just a note that our MTA is set to use qmail.

Just to be sure, this fix will make it possible to use encrypted passwords for mail-users? Currently planning migrations of servers from plesk 9.5.4 to 10.4.4, with a lot of encrypted passwords. Is there any ETA for when this fix will be available?

waiting for updates...

hey! anyone have updates for this problem? all ios-devices can't connect to the mailserver... that's very bad!
maybe a workaround will be help me (and other)....

Just try to login with ATMail (IMAP) or same with telnet localhost 143, but for some users work and for some no.
I did not checked yet, but I think work with users with encrypted pass (new accounts) and not work with PLAIN passwords saved in the past. I am not quite sure, but as I remember it was like this.
Now we solved temporarelly to login with Horde and modified Horde to login with POP3.

Hello,
I created a new mail account with encrypted password on our testsystem, but can't login yet.
So I can't confirm this behaviour with plain/encrypted passwords.

@IgorG:
I don't understand... reprodcue in which way?
plain password over IMAP -> not work (thats ok)
plain password over SSL/TLS -> work
crypt password CRAM-MD5 over IMAP/S -> both not work
crypt password SHA1 over IMAP/S -> both works
plain password over IMAP -> work
iphone/ipad -> can't test this at the moment,but expected probadly not work

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
plesk, 10.4.4 MU#15, Debian Squeeze 6.0.4, x64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
No Login with CRAM-MD5 against POP3, IMAP, SMTP after upgrade.

Starting situation was Debian Lenny 5.0.9 64-bit with Plesk 10.3.1

We updated in the following order:
1.) Upgrade Plesk to 10.4.4 MU#15 lenny-build
2.) Upgrade OS to Debian Squeeze 6.0.4 with autp-get dist-upgrade
3.) Upgrade Plesk to 10.4.4 MU#15 squeeze-build

ACTUAL RESULT
After upgrade, no login for mail-clients with CRAM-MD5 ist possible (bad username/password).
At this moment, we have tested the following ways:

plain password over IMAP -> not work (thats ok)
plain password over SSL/TLS -> work
crypt password CRAM-MD5 over IMAP/S -> both not work
crypt password SHA1 over IMAP/S -> both works
plain password over IMAP -> work
iphone/ipad -> can't test this at the moment,but expected probadly not work, because client requeires CRAM-MD5

EXPECTED RESULT
The mail server should support encrypted password auth like previous plesk versions, in this case CRAM-MD5 works well.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
We use standard-setup -> courier-imap and qmail

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I have submitted request to developers. Let's wait their answer.

Please check the substring AUTH=CRAM-MD5 in IMAP_CAPABILITY string of /etc/courier-imap/imapd file.

Hi,

the capability AUTH=CRAM-MD5 exists, that was not the problem.

But I have good news, we applied MU#16 via autoinstaller from command prompt, since them CRAM-MD5 is working well, like before.
Don't know what happened, because CRAM-MD5 is not listed as Bugfix in MU#16.
I saw, while applying MU#16, autoinstaller applied all MU's again. Maybe something went wrong in MU#5-Install in our first upgrade.

hostfan,
tried doing a micro update for MU#16 using Parallels Panel GUI but my "Update Components" is greyed out. So does this mean I have to do it from the command prompt as you did?

hostfan,
tried doing a micro update for MU#16 using Parallels Panel GUI but my "Update Components" is greyed out. So does this mean I have to do it from the command prompt as you did?

Hello,
I executed: /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-latest --upgrade-installed-components

Back