• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Error Editing FTP User

LuigiMdg

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.53_build1800230619.12
I created an additional FTP user, realized I made a typo, so re-entered to edit it, but when I saved it gave me this error back..
Code:
Error: SysUser::update() failed: Unable to execute usermng: no crontab for #username_privacy# usermng: /usr/bin/crontab execution failed: no crontab for #username_privacy# usermng: /usr/sbin/usermod execution failed: usermod: user #username_privacy# is currently used by process 969573 usermng: Unable to modify user: #username_privacy#

Since I couldn't change it, I deleted and recreated it, but it won't let me access from FTP..
Maybe the service needs to be restarted, but what is it? I can't find it.. I was expecting a ProFTP or similar

user #username_privacy# is currently used by process 969573
is the reason why the update did not work. For that case it is best to set the master domain of the subscription where this is done to "deactivated", then do the change, then reactivate the domain. Deactivating it will clear running processes so that all renaming works flawlessly.

But your question now is something different: You way that FTP won't let you access. Could you please provide the steps you are doing and what the exact FTP log messages are in your FTP client?

ProFTPD is used on the server, but it does not need to be manually restarted or reconfigured after renaming a user.

is the reason why the update did not work. For that case it is best to set the master domain of the subscription where this is done to "deactivated", then do the change, then reactivate the domain. Deactivating it will clear running processes so that all renaming works flawlessly.

But your question now is something different: You way that FTP won't let you access. Could you please provide the steps you are doing and what the exact FTP log messages are in your FTP client?

ProFTPD is used on the server, but it does not need to be manually restarted or reconfigured after renaming a user.
I simply created an FTP user from the link smb/ftp/create-user
About changing the username, again, I don't agree with the Plesk policy.. If there is a need to stop processes, it has full control to do it itself, while changing the user

Creating an FTP user is not enough to connect to the server through FTP. Could you please provide the steps you are doing and what the exact FTP log messages are in your FTP client?

Creating an FTP user is not enough to connect to the server through FTP. Could you please provide the steps you are doing and what the exact FTP log messages are in your FTP client?
As already mentioned, I simply created the FTP user from Plesk, I didn't do anything else as on all other web panels, this was enough, so if there is anything else to do just say it, because documentation is not to be found.....
1689942219879.png
This is the message I get when I try to connect, but it's misleading because changing username and password works normally.

SFTP is not FTP, but SSH with an FTP protocol on top. Only your main subscription user can have SSH access - if you configured a shell for that user. Additional FTP users are FTP users, no SSH users, hence they cannot be used for SFTP connections. instead, use them with FTP or FTPS. FTPS is FTP with SSL. That's something completely different from SFTP.

SFTP is not FTP, but SSH with an FTP protocol on top. Only your main subscription user can have SSH access - if you configured a shell for that user. Additional FTP users are FTP users, no SSH users, hence they cannot be used for SFTP connections. instead, use them with FTP or FTPS. FTPS is FTP with SSL. That's something completely different from SFTP.
Ok, I was not aware of this 3rd type, thanks for the clarification.
But I had already tried on port 21, but it gives me another error:
SSL/TLS required on the control channel
Perhaps you need to configure FTP to use SSL?

When you have an SSL/TLS certificate for your hostname and you are using your hostname to connect to FTP, the certificate can be used for FTP. The max you'll see is a dialog from your FTP software that asks you to confirm that the certificate is good. You can simply confirm that an connect. There is no magic to this. Just use a normal FTP connection with an FTP user account and connect.

When you have an SSL/TLS certificate for your hostname and you are using your hostname to connect to FTP, the certificate can be used for FTP. The max you'll see is a dialog from your FTP software that asks you to confirm that the certificate is good. You can simply confirm that an connect. There is no magic to this. Just use a normal FTP connection with an FTP user account and connect.
Excuse me, could you give an example?
I performed the operations described above, I tried to connect on port 21, since 22, as you say, is disabled for non-administrators, but it gives me this error and not the classic signature to accept, as you say, so it doesn't let me continue and disconnects me..

It's not nice that after 4 days a solution hasn't been found yet.. And who knows how many more days would have gone by..
Luckily, this time I found the solution.. I hope the support will be more present in the future.
I leave the solution here, sure it will be useful to someone passing by.
1690237506025.png

Sorry to hear that you are not satisified with the forum. However, please be aware that this is a user-to-user forum. Plesk staff also visits the forum and tries to help, but official Plesk support is here:

Back