• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Error: system user update is failed: Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM passw

adetokunbod

New Pleskian
Hello developers I am very new to plesk and it is really frustrating me the above error is what I get when I tried to update an hosting account on my platform I have used cpanel severally and no problem but this I dont have a clue why it is happening beased on what was suggested from one of your website (http://kb.parallels.com/113586 and http://kb.parallels.com/en/113760) seems not to be working or the symptoms so to speak.

I have have also tried to change the permission on the some of the password files such as shadow and shadow- files in the /etc/ folder in the root directory of the system. still no clue.

what resulted into this problem was a problem that I was trying to fix a magento mcrypt requirement which i need to install the mcrypt manually as some of the online forums and websites suggested. but root password authentication was not allowing me through the ssh, thought was from the website tried putty still no progress and and i used to login with root before with the admin password via ssh before this was a new thing so i decided to follow (http://aphoniastream.me.uk/recover-root-password-on-plesk-10-server/) however it got me into the above problem when I realize its just replacing what ever encrypted password on the root line in the shadow file with another known encrypted password of any other account which I eventually used one of the accounts password i know in my hosting vps account because the system is a vps and now i am just not understanding why everything is so complicated.

Sorry for anyone reading this i need to just be clear as much as possible because this is annoying to me as I have no clue of what is going on.

thanks anyone in advance.

Make sure that you have correct permissions here:

# stat /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/wrapper
File: `/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/wrapper'
Size: 15636 Blocks: 32 IO Block: 4096 regular file
Device: 29h/41d Inode: 28121374 Links: 1
Access: (4110/---s--x---) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 502/ psaadm)

Also check that passwd package is installed on your server.

I believe the password package is installed without that I woudn't be able to manage the password before now. I have been able to change passwords until recently when i started modifying the files like I explained earlier. also for the command I cannot access the ssh for now to even know what is up. but I have checked the file /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/wrapper the permission i have on it is only execute only on Owner and group (---s--x---) , other options are unchecked on the panel. what permission should that be in. sorry for the late response.

I have updated the permission on the file from the panel now i get this error " The license key is invalid. In order to use the Panel, please obtain and install a new valid license key.
The license key is intended only for use with Parallels Panel operating inside a Parallels Virtuozzo Containers virtual environment." Please any help would be appreciated. @IgorG i need your advice on this issue please.

Parallels Plesk Panel determines whether environment is container or physical server by executing utility 'filwrpr' which contacts node through /etc/vz/dev/vzlink and checking for response. Make sure that filwrpr can be executed and have correct permissions. Try to run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/filwrpr 35
What is the output? Does it returns 0 ?

sorry for my late reply, But to be honest I dont know where to run this commands you are specifying, But this is the errors I am getting now quoted below.

ERROR: PleskFatalException Up Level Components::componentUpdate() failed: Unable to exec utility packagemng: packagemng: execve failed for /opt/psa/admin/sbin/packagemng: Permission denied System error 13: Permission denied

When I tried to log in to the plesk. and previously it was telling me to upgrade my key.

But I cannot even access the server via putty/ssh.

Please point me to the right direction.

Is there no way to just reset the password to system default or even remove it via the container section which I still have access through, since it is remote server on the internet VPS not a physical system i have access to locally.

Last edited:
I have been able to fix the problem to some extent after messing with some the privileges, running another forum on a thats just showing how desperate I am, so dont be annoyed, Please I need all the help in the world, this is the new info i am getting now.

SSH root password still cannot be accessed.

Error: The license key is invalid. In order to use the Panel, please obtain and install a new valid license key.
The license key is intended only for use with Parallels Panel operating inside a Parallels Virtuozzo Containers virtual environment.

however this is part of the info displayed

Key number XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Next license key update Sept 6, 2012
Key expiration date Sept 16, 2012
The expiration date will be automatically extended on Sept 6, 2012. For the automatic update you must allow connections to ka.swsoft.com. For more information, refer to the following help topic.

Back