• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

External SMTP Relay not sending email from Plesk Panel.

squorpeeon

Basic Pleskian
I have Plesk 12 on CentOS 7. I have only MSMTP installed not Postfix or Qmail. No matter what settings I use in the external SMTP settings the mail is never sent and I cannot find any error logs.

I have tried gmail smtp, sendgrid smtp and another smtp server that I own.

This is not a firewall issue as far as I can tell since if I install postfix it just works. Also any Wordpress or Joomla installs that use SMTP settings with gmail or sendgrid work just fine.

Screenshot for information only. I used accurate usernames, passwords, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 2.46.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 2.46.57 PM.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 34
I tried 25, 587, 465, with and without ssl and with auth on and auth login. If I could find a log file somewhere that would probably help.

Hi squorpeeon,

you could have a look at "/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog" to see some strange behaviour, or misconfiguration. :)

I did check there. I have a feeling that is only created if you install a mail server.
"No such file or directory"

I'm getting somewhere and nowhere really fast. This KB was really helpful finding the log files, http://kb.odin.com/en/111283.
The ones I found aren't very descriptive.

[2015-04-08 15:00:47] ERR [panel] Unable to send mail.

[2015-04-08 15:00:47] ERR [panel] Error sending the report: Unable to send mail.

Just for the heck of it I fired up a fresh instance on Digital Ocean and another on Linode. Same result, unable to send mail.

Ah, intersting. In that case I'll just wait for 7.1 support. Other than panel notifications not working the setup is fast and rock solid. I don't sell web hosting either so I can wait.

Quick update. I tried the recommended CentOS 7 with the same result. Can anyone confirm that installing Plesk 12 without a mail server and using the msmtp relay option actually works?

Quick update. I tried the recommended CentOS 7 with the same result. Can anyone confirm that installing Plesk 12 without a mail server and using the msmtp relay option actually works?
Hello squorpeeon,

I was able to reproduce the issue and reported it with ID: PPPM-2732
The root cause is missing sendmail links during installation. You can workaround it running: # /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set mta /usr/bin/msmtp
Code:
[root@a10-52-52-117 ~]# ll /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/bin/newaliases  /usr/sbin/sendmail
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/sendmail: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/newaliases: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory
[root@a10-52-52-117 ~]# /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display mta
mta - status is manual.
link currently points to /usr/bin/msmtp
/usr/bin/msmtp - priority 110
slave mta-pam: (null)
slave mta-mailq: (null)
slave mta-newaliases: /bin/true
slave mta-rmail: (null)
slave mta-sendmail: /usr/bin/msmtp
slave mta-mailqman: (null)
slave mta-newaliasesman: (null)
slave mta-aliasesman: (null)
slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man1/msmtp.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/msmtp.
[root@a10-52-52-117 ~]# /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set mta /usr/bin/msmtp
[root@a10-52-52-117 ~]# ll /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/bin/newaliases  /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 32 Apr  9 15:51 /usr/bin/newaliases -> /etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 30 Apr  9 15:51 /usr/lib/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 21 Apr  9 15:51 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta

On using the above code by RuslanT, i get the following error (i'm using ubuntu 14.04)
-bash: /usr/sbin/update-alternatives: No such file or directory

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives is symlink to /usr/bin/update-alternatives files and it is part of dpkg package:

# ls -la /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 10 2011 /usr/sbin/update-alternatives -> ../bin/update-alternatives

Check that this package is correctly installed and symlink exists.

It's really shame that a large company like yours can't even preinstall something like an external SMTP. if you can't do such a small job, i can't trust you with bigger jobs.

Back