• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FCGI error on fresh install (Ubuntu 14.04) + data migration from Plesk 11

dedisoft

New Pleskian
Hello everybody,

I've searched on many sites and forum but I can't find any solution.

We have installed Plesk 12 on a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 install (amd64) without any errors.

Data migration using migration tool has been done without any errors.

All HTML websites are working, but websites requiring FCGI (WordPress, ...) has HTTP 500 error.

Log files says:

Domain error.log =

Code:
[fcgid:warn] [pid 18021] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client xx.xx.xx.xx:32953] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
[core:error] [pid 18021] [client xx.xx.xx.xx:32953] End of script output before headers: index.php

Apache error log =

Code:
[fcgid:info] [pid 18019] mod_fcgid: server yyyyy.yy:/var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper(18117) started
[fcgid:info] [pid 18019] mod_fcgid: process /var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper(18117) exit(communication error), terminated by calling exit(), return code: 114

Panel is working fine.

Rights on /var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper is root:root (755).

Any help will be really apprecied.

Thanks

Regards,

Hi,

Webmail (Horde) is done too (error 500).

Everything who needs PHP or Perl can't work.

I've seen another log error :

Code:
[2014-08-02 16:19:05]: uid: (10007/sepem) gid: (1004/1004) cmd: cgi_wrapper
[2014-08-02 16:19:05]: command cgi_wrapper not in docroot (10007)

But suexec command seems to be good (fresh install, and same size than Plesk suexec).

Thanks for your help

Hello,

I have a similar problem. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit, Plesk12, fresh installation from our provider. Ran a migration vom an existing system, using ubuntu 12.x and Plesk 11. Ran fine, transfered everything, config was left on default.
On the first look, everything looked good and worked, by some kind of strange error with phpBB3 occured. When posting a reply, it took some time, and then a internal server error 500 showed up. The posting was executed.
The domain log said:

[Mon Oct 06 16:19:57.506844 2014] [fcgid:warn] [pid 18793] [client ...] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 150 seconds, referer: baseURL / posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=5733
[Mon Oct 06 16:19:57.506982 2014] [core:error] [pid 18793] [client ...] End of script output before headers: posting.php, referer:

The first ideas I found suggested increasing some timeout values, those lead only to longer waiting times until the error showed up.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks !

Roland

Could you please verify, that all needed permissions are set correctly for your phpBB - installation? ( hint: https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb3-chmod-permissions/ )

You might have installed "mod_security" with some strong definitions, which might cause such failures as well. If you installed "mod_security", please investigate the log there as well
( /var/log/modsec_audit.log ).​

Hello,
Thank you for your help !

I checked the permissions and, just for being secure with them, done a reset according to the documentation.
No changes, still the same message.
The apache module mod_security is not installed, and also not listed in the apache module list.
I took a look into /etc/apache2/mods-enabled, something like mod_security was not there.

Changing the way php runs seems, at least for me, to change the behaviour. For the affected domain ( there is only one ), you have the settings for "Hosting", where you can enable php, perl, python, etc, and change the way how php is executed.
Default was fastcgi, php version 5.5.9.
Changed this to "apache module" and the posting procedure from phpBB3 works, for me, but it seems to take the time defined in the script timeout settings ( 45 seconds not, before 150 from one hint I found ) for the script posting.php to execute the rest of the posting procedure and to return to the forum main page.
For other users it does not work this way, as I have heared.
Whats also really strange is that this error occurs in one forum, and in an administrative area, where only a few users have access to, I can't reproduce the effect.

Thanks for any ideas !

Roland

Hello,
I think I have found the cause for this error. It is not a config issue with the apache server or the fcgi module, it is something with the emailing function of phpbb3 and the configuration of the postfix mail server and the authentication it is using.
When I deactivated the mail function of phpBB3, the error diasappeared. That also explains why it was possible to reproduce the error in one forum and not in the other administrative area - there was just no one the script could send a message...
I will have to check the mail server logs to find whats causing this.
If it is of interest, I can post what I hope to find.

Thank you !

Greetings !

Roland

Back