• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FreeBSD 7 support when?!

FreeBSD 7.0 was released at Feb/2008. One (1) full year has passed since then and Parallels still hasn't supported it officially. In the meantime, Parallel's latest Plesk installer is for FreeBSD 6.1 (which got released at May/2006 and has already reached End of Life at May/2008 !!!). However, it may be possible to install it on later FreeBSD 6.xx.

It really looks like Parallels has abandoned FreeBSD support or something, without even telling us. Otherwise, I don't see why FreeBSD 7.xx remains officially unsupported. I personally have been forced to switch hundreds of FreeBSD dedicated servers to other control-panels (i.e cPanel or DirectAdmin) due to many problems with Plesk under FreeBSD. I'd suggest Parallels consider providing full compatibility for latest versions of all supported operating systems (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora Core, RHEL, SuSE and FreeBSD) using the most common architectures (x86, x64).

Thank you.

Just to add my tuppence, I would have quite liked to have installed FreeBSD on my server, but I installed CentOS because Plesk don't support any recent versions of FreeBSD.

I am quite shocked to hear that 7.0 was supported by the beta but not the final release.

I did consider abandoning Plesk and configuring the server manually, but that would have left the server without a control panel - which is fine for me (probably would make life simpler), but not so good for my technophobe boss if I get run down by a bus (there is no possibility of paying for another control panel, as it is we only use Plesk because it is provide FOC by our host (1&1) - though I suppose I could have installed webmin).

Hey, Parallels people, FreeBSD 7.1 is OUT!!!! Do you know this?!!!!

At least you got support in the beta. Look at is Fedora users, Fedora 9 still not supported let alone 10 and 8 is EOL since Jan, so parallels can't support a current supported Fedora OS - sad!

I feel sorry for you, we all in the same boat.

With their stupid pay to lodge a fault in their software you already license / pay for and how many hundred tickets been paid for with the mess Pleak 9 caused, they could hire a fleet of developers and support all current OS!

Developers have already requests about adding FreeBSD 7 as supported OS. This question under their consideration now.
Unfortunately I have no any ETA when it may be released.

Meanwhile FreeBSD 8.0 has been released. After trying an unatended install of Plesk 9.3 on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, the only issue I've found was with pam files. It is so hard to solve the issue and add support for newer versions of FreeBSD?

outsider,

Could you please inform me in PM what is your company, how much Plesk servers based on FreeBSD you have and want to deploy? Why you prefer FreeBSD for Plesk? I will forward this information to developers.
Thank you.

We are using for now only 2 servers with FreeBSD and we are stuck with FreeBSD 6.4, but I know a lot of companies that will like to use FreeBSD. Anyway, you biggest competitor is actively supporting FreeBSD on both i386 an x64 arhitectures (http://www.cpanel.com/products/cpanelwhm/system-requirements.html). We have a lot of customers that I recomand to use FreeBSD and we are not able to provide them Plesk as a control panel because on new SO versions is not supported at all.

We run 10 Plesk servers on FreeBSD 6, and have been trying to hack the installer to get the latest Plesk running on FreeBSD 8.0 unsuccessfully. We are now trying to get this working on FreeBSD 7.2.

We have over 50 servers running FreeBSD, and don't wish to move to Linux so we may need to migrate to CPanel.

Please Parallels can you provide support for at least FreeBSD 7.2, but preferably 8, since 7.2 is now considered legacy.

Some of the biggest websites in the world run on FreeBSD and FreeBSD is increasingly being used as a webserver by more and more business. Also FreeBSD constantly features in the top 10 reliable hosting provider list on NetCraft and is often ranked number 1. These should be good enough reasons to keep FreeBSD up to date and supported.

Thank you very much for your information. I have forwarded it to developers and I hope that FreeBSD will be completely supported.

We have 7 FreeBSD servers, and 2 of 7 servers are running Plesk Panel.
We want to keep using Plesk, but don't want to change OS.
Thank you.

Thank you guys,
I have forwarded your requests to developers too.

I use FreeBSD more than 8 years. When SWSoft release it's plesk version 8.x I paid licences to use them on FreeBSD, previously Plesk installation was packaged for Freebee and it was simply to install them without any uubeer super-trouper installer downloaders and other buggy shits, as additionaly I wanted to make changes in ports tree, everything goes well and I was able to use portupgrade etc. Now Plesk installer uses complex rubby scripts when elemetary operations such as indexig ports on rubby scripts slows down the system, install takes so long time. I installed Plesk manualy through their ports dir, it was faster. Plesk starting versions 8.2 was so buggy. All versions are made for FreeBSD ports that was fresh at the develpment time, but development goes for long time and when plesk releases, integrated ports tree are very old. If I choose to install Plesk on existent ports tree, install drops out many errors. No one version of Plesk 9.x was successfully completed without errors. As I saw, the errrors on new versions of Plesk are the same, rubby & portugrede buggs. SWSoft offered me to buy Plesks SUS, after that I will be able to use latest Plesk versions. The questions is why I need to pay for nothing? Install buggs from previous versions aren't solved, no support for x64 architecture. Experimentaly I installed i386 version of Plesk on FreeBSD 7.x amd64 architecture under i386 32bit compatible libraries, taking these libraries from FreeBEE 6.x versions and some were existent, but Plesk was partially functional because it uses libpam_plesk.so module to authenticate DrWeb antivirus and I wouldn't be able to use it cause of incompatible architectures.
At the point of view of development it's is not too hard to develop FreeBSD x64 version of Plesk. I think that simply SWSofts developers are so lazy and with the small experience in unix (not linux) such as software packaging, ports tree, modules etc. Why did cpanel supports FreeBSD also open source ISPCONFIG also supports freebsd, their jails subsystem...
The main thing to use FreeBSD is it's stability, scallable platform in other words - best server for the web versus linux with their frameworks

Supporting of FreeBSD 8 is cancelled. We will not release Plesk for FreeBSD.

Hi Igor.
Can you clarify "We will not release Plesk for FreeBSD." ?

Is this an informal statement dropping FreeBSD as a supported OS?

Back