• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP "hangs" or "breaks" at or near 100% completion

This isn't a Plesk problem, it's a Windows problem.

I have been able to get around this FTP problem by disabling the Application Layer Gateway Service in the Services (services.msc) menu.

I don't really know what the ALGS does, but this hasn't caused any problems on the half-dozen servers I've disabled it on.

I did some seatching on Application Layer Gateway Service. one the web and its described as:

Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.

Application Layer Gateway Service provided by Microsoft.
Internal Name: SharedAccess.
Alg.exe is related to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
Alg.exe (SharedAccess) must be started even if your Windows firewall is turned off or replaced by another firewall.
Alg.exe (SharedAccess) is the low level service for control network connections.
Start mode of Alg.exe (SharedAccess): Auto.
Suggestion: Leave it working.

Can you confirm that everything its working fine after disabling this, including the windows firewall?

Originally posted by AbsolutelyFreeW
thank you, How did you figure this out?

After noticing that I didn't have any FTP problems with the Win FW disabled, I saw that the ALGS was disabled/enabled along with the FW. I turned ALGS off by itself and the rest is history. :D

Originally posted by atinoco
Can you confirm that everything its working fine after disabling this, including the windows firewall?

I won't beg you to take my advice. :p Try it for yourself and let us know what you find out. Two heads are better than one. :)

I'm having the same problem of FTP connections being disconnected long before the actual setting within my FTP server. My FTP server is set to time out idle connections at 5 minutes (300 seconds) and idle connections are actually being disconnected at about 90 seconds. I tried disbling the ALG service as described in this thread but wasn't able to connect to the server using FTP at all with it off. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this work or was this proposed solution just a hoax? Did this really work for some of you? I suppose it could be that I have some other service already disabled that is needed when the alg service is turned off... Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

just did this and it seems to work, the firewall still works fine after disabling the service, will update this if we run into any more problems.

Thanks for the help

I am assuming that if you disable the "Application Layer Gateway" service, your PLESK Firewall Module will STOP working as it it a 3rd party plugin to the windows firewall. However if you have setup your firewall settings using windows itself and not PLESK then you should be fine.

And since turning off the PLESK firewall module fixes the issue, I would say that this issue IS A PLESK ISSUE.

I'm having the same problem of FTP connections being disconnected long before the actual setting within my FTP server. My FTP server is set to time out idle connections at 5 minutes (300 seconds) and idle connections are actually being disconnected at about 90 seconds

Have you found any solution to this issue? We are also having the same trouble.

Plesk firewall module works fine with ALG disabled, tested it myself with simple ftp block (port 21) and it worked.

I am so glad I found this thread. I have my ftp timeout set at 900 seconds, but it always times out after about 60 seconds of inactivity. This was driving me crazy as I program, upload via ftp, edit then ftp again, over and over again in one session. Logging in again and again was getting tiresome.

But alas, I turned off Windows firewall, and the issue went away. I then turned the firewall back on, and turned off application gateway service and the issue is still resolved.

Hurrah.

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem like we did.

TY Oatmeal for the solution:

Oatmeal Wrote:

I have been able to get around this FTP problem by disabling the Application Layer Gateway Service in the Services (services.msc) menu.

I don't really know what the ALGS does, but this hasn't caused any problems on the half-dozen servers I've disabled it on.

So if we turn off ALG then bingo, problem solved? Sounds a bit easy. What's the point of ALG then. Seems from my reading it's to create dynamic port mapping for different FTP clients.

Won't this then be broken?

Windows Firewall works just fine with ALG Disabled, give it a try and you will see, i think i read somewhere its for 3rd party plugins or something like that.

Ok, turning off ALG.exe is NOT without problems.

One can only FTP with Passive FTP turned OFF. This being the case, Mac users running the Mac firewall are unable to FTP in any condition other than passive. They have to turn off their Firewall to be able to FTP.

This is becoming a problem.

Originally posted by daThomas
Ok, turning off ALG.exe is NOT without problems.

One can only FTP with Passive FTP turned OFF. This being the case, Mac users running the Mac firewall are unable to FTP in any condition other than passive. They have to turn off their Firewall to be able to FTP.

It depends - what computers - operating systems customers use... My customers have all windows and standard PCs... no MACs... Here in Slovenia 98% is standard PCs and windows - linux used only for servers...

Aris, www.slohost.net

Originally posted by oatmeal

Woow... Thanks fot the tip - I tried it out and tested and tested - and it works lika a charm...

oatmeal: You are the MANNN.... !

Aris, www.slohost.net

Hi,

ok, so what do I do, if I have lots of Mac customers and don't want to turn of the firewall?

Theres got to be a solution for this. I can't believe that SW-Soft expects us to not upload files bigger than lets say 8 MB. I don't care if it is a MS or SW-Soft Problem. SW-Soft advertises their product as a control panel that gives my customers the possibility to upload files to their websites. I did not read anything about it saying "if they don't use a mac" or "if you don't upload big files" or "once you turn of the firewall we advertised before".

So please: What is the solution for this?

Thanks
Johannes

ok guys this is how i solve this problem...
first i do:
1.- open FW go advance tap.. select connection and uncheck FTP server.
2.- i do this link
3.- then i go to exceptions tab and add each port 5500 to 5550
4.- Click on the Exceptions tab, then click on the Add Program button.

5.- Browse to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\INETSRV\inetinfo.exe" and double click on this file to select it.
6.- then restar FW and FTP services as well.

its this dont work please disable ALG services.

i hope this work for u guys.

Back