• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question FTP to root

CobraArbok

Regular Pleskian
Each subscription has an access to its "root" folder with the file manager and FTP.
Instead, as admin I need toaccess the root's server, at least with FTP.
Is there in Plesk (17.0 in Ubuntu and 17.5 on CentOs) any way to do this?

Thanks.

There should not be any need to create an additional FTP user. Simply use the operating system's user account that you are using to access your server through SSH.

There should not be any need to create an additional FTP user. Simply use the operating system's user account that you are using to access your server through SSH.
I mainly need to do transfer files or act on the folders of the individual subscriptions.

NEVER give root user ftp access. That's a hack waiting to happen.

Instead use winscp to connect WinSCP

And if you want to be extra secure: forbid root ssh access with password and create a key pair to connect to the server.

Regards
Jan

NEVER give root user ftp access. That's a hack waiting to happen.

Instead use winscp to connect WinSCP

And if you want to be extra secure: forbid root ssh access with password and create a key pair to connect to the server.

Thank you, Jan.
Access is for me, not for users.
Perhaps it is sufficient to access the "root" folder of the subscriptions (/var/www/vhost) and not to the root of the server.

Winscp is for Windows and I was looking for something easy to manage in Linux.
For this reason I preferred Filezilla.

i understand it is for you, but only root user would have sufficient rights to manipulate files owned by various system users. There is no "admin" system user on linux.

The only other options are creating a wheel user or login as admin in plesk and use the plesk file manager from the various domains.

regards
Jan

Back