• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Full Backup (Plesk + OS)

tanasis

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.56 Update #2
I have a dedicated server on Contabo with Plesk. I want to make a full backup of the server on my local NAS in my office,
How can I do it ?

Can you access FTP or FTPS on your NAS from the Internet? Then you can directly backup to your FTP account on your NAS. Normally, opening port 21 on your router and maybe setting a route for incoming traffic to your NAS in your LAN is needed for that.

Can you access FTP or FTPS on your NAS from the Internet? Then you can directly backup to your FTP account on your NAS. Normally, opening port 21 on your router and maybe setting a route for incoming traffic to your NAS in your LAN is needed for that.
Hello Peter, I can access my NAS from the Internet. I'm taking website backups from my server to my local NAS.
My question is how can I take a full backup of the server on my local NAS.
I want to take OS, Plesk, DBs, etc...

You cannot backup your server in full unless you buy a special software for that. A software that covers backing up the full operating system and system state. I cannot recommend any here, because we don't want to prefer certain vendors, but a Google search can help. What you can do is to configure your NAS FTP storage space for a Plesk backup, so that the Plesk configuration and content is backed up to it.

What you can do is to configure your NAS FTP storage space for a Plesk backup, so that the Plesk configuration and content is backed up to it.

This can be with the "special" software or with linux commands ?

(Peter, you can send me a pm with the software)

This can be with the "special" software or with linux commands ?
You can address your FTP storage space on you NAS just like any other FTP space in the Plesk Backup Manager. As long as it is FTP or FTPS, you do not need any special software or upgrades. it does not matter whether the storage space is on your NAS or elsewhere, because the protocol is always the same.

You can use a Software like Veeam Agent for Linux or Acronis (not the one you get as a Plesk extension, as this one only supports backups into the Acronis cloud) to perform a full server backup and store it on a remote network device like your NAS.

We often use Veeam for that and the free version will allow you to connect to a SMB or NFS target as backup destination. (should be supported by your NAS)
The only problem I see here, is that these connections may not be encrypted, well maybe except if you can use SMB3
The paid version of said software does also support object storages (s3 compatible), but I don't know of your NAS does. (out of the box of with an extension like MinIO)

You can use a Software like Veeam Agent for Linux or Acronis (not the one you get as a Plesk extension, as this one only supports backups into the Acronis cloud) to perform a full server backup and store it on a remote network device like your NAS.

We often use Veeam for that and the free version will allow you to connect to a SMB or NFS target as backup destination. (should be supported by your NAS)
The only problem I see here, is that these connections may not be encrypted, well maybe except if you can use SMB3
The paid version of said software does also support object storages (s3 compatible), but I don't know of your NAS does. (out of the box of with an extension like MinIO)

Do you mean this version doesn't offer a Full system backup of the entire server (on my NAS) ?
1698824753100.png

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions other than what's already been mentioned in this topic. Veeam and Acronis are good backup solutions, but they definitely have a learning curve. Once you understand how they work they are relatively easy to work with. Best suggestion I can give you is to search around. Dive into the subject, watch Youtube videos and read the documentation.

Thank for your reply Kaspar.
So the only way to take backup the settings from the server (os) and from plesk is Veeam and Acronis ?

I want to backup files like sql settings, plesk settings, firewall settings etc.
Setting files, not core files or not boot files...

If you only want to backup Plesk and its configuration, you can use the Plesk Backup Manager for it and simply backup to your NAS FTP.

If you only want to backup Plesk and its configuration, you can use the Plesk Backup Manager for it and simply backup to your NAS FTP.

I took a backup of the server.
I see zipped files. For example "google-authenticator".
I opened it and I see some data in the right image. Where are the settings for "google-authenticator" ?

1698839032378.png

Back