• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Global NS and NS2 for all the server | Virtualmin Migration

SirTux

New Pleskian
Hi to all

I searched around the forum but without luck. Starting im new to plesk and some how i know my way around it going throu the administration guide but this to main things have some priority so im just asking more experienced users.

Using 10.4 on Debian and i want to set the DNS template to have only one name server so all the domains i create get the default dns server of ns.mydomain.com tried to ad it but cant figure out how to get the <domain>. off so the record gets created mydomain.<domain>. i know that all the ns records point to one server but just want to have it easy to remember.

The second issue im having figuring out how to migrate 4 domains i have runing in a virtualmin server using devcot as mail server. what would be the easiest way to migrate this mailboxes from my virtualmin server to plesk. im not worried abt usernames and passwords since they total only 20 emails but my consern is their mailboxes since they use only webmail and no clients.

thank you in advance

Ardi

It is simple IF you know how :)

In the DNS template section, add a record.

Select NS from the drop-down.
LEAVE the "Domain name" box BLANK
In the Name server box, enter ns.mydomain.com

Click on OK.

Then go on to remove any NS records you might already have in your template.

With these settings, when you add a domain to the panel, it will get an NS record as follows:

newdomain.com -> NS -> ns.mydomain.com

i.e. it will have a single NS record, and that will be ns.mydomain.com

However, having a single NS record is not good. If you only have one IP, it might be better to create two NS records but both pointing to that same IP.

In this way, in the future, when you get a second IP address, all you need to do is change the DNS host record for ns2.yourdomain.com to point to the new IP and all will be well.

I would imagine a lot of people would disagree with me, but my opinion is that two NS records both pointing to the same IP is better than only one NS record.

Back