• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Help needed to upgrade mysql

The RPM database may be corrupt. Try this and then rerun the yum update

#rpm --rebuilddb

Highland... YOU DA MAN!! It worked... working just fine!
Many thanks my friend!
Tim

Upgraded, everything works fine except wordpress

Hi, I followed the instructions in this post, and everything seems to be working fine with one exception.

All installations of wordpress have stopped working, they are able to connect to the database. However nothing displays.

Notes:
1. I upgraded both mysql and php using the latest ART rpms for Fedora Core 2.
2. phpinfo() is displaying mySQL as [Client API version 3.23.58]

The only other changes I made were installing ImageMagick.

Any ideas?

thank you.
Simon.

Had a person have a look at it, and this is what he said:

Apache is dying every time you execute mysql_fetch_field(). This means the upgrade did not go smoothly. The DB itself is fine, but the PHP/mysql access part is not. It fails and messes up memory in some cases and kills the process it's running inside of: namely, Apache. I switched the use of mysql_fetch_field() to mysql_field_name(). Your system is dirty and is being held together by bandages and bubble gum.

How do I take the system back to the way it was?

Thank You.
Simon.

Client API version

Spoke to a system admin again, he says the problem is with the (Client API version) using 3.23 and MySQL being 4.1.18, any idea how I can fix this?

Thank You.
Simon.

Re: Client API version

Originally posted by shart000
Spoke to a system admin again, he says the problem is with the (Client API version) using 3.23 and MySQL being 4.1.18, any idea how I can fix this?

Thank You.
Simon.
wondering the same thing? did you ever get this fixed?

Hey folks,

I tried the

yum upgrade mysql

and this is what it returned
"Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Finding obsoleted packages
No Upgrades available for mysql."

However, I know I'm running 3.23 of MySQL, and version 5 is now available. I really need to upgrade to at least 4.0+

Any suggestions? Thanks!

david

-------
update
-------
I followed the step-by-step on the first page of this post. And it worked perfectly. THANK YOU.

dirty fix

We ended up deleting a file from the server. Now apache no longer crashes. However, the server memmory usage is always at 98% (Fedora Core 2) and godaddy support cannot help us restore the system back to the old MySQL without deleting everything on the server.

the file was mod_???? (with mysql somewhere in the file name)

I cannot remember where I found the sollution (here or google)

sorry, will carry on looking for a while.

Simon.

link to fix

http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789

I deleted the file mentioned in the thread (mod_auth_mysql-20030510-2.ent)

MySQL + PHP + Apache seem to be working fine. Unfortunatly memory usage is now at a constant 99%. We are going to ride out the rest of this hosing term and then sign up for a new account.

hope this helps.
Simon.

I just tried following the instructions in this thread to upgrade from mysql 3.23.58 to 4.1.20

At the same time I tried upgrading PHP from 4.3.10 to 5.0.4, however that gave the error message "Package php-domxml needs php = 4.4.2-3.rhfc2.art, this is not available.".

On rebooting the server however, plesk could not connect to mysql and was giving the error
"db_connect: failed to connect to database: Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"

I did try the my.cnf edit at that point with another reboot but it still wouldn't connect.

This meant the only part of plesk available was the Virtuozzo section so I ended up restoring from the backup I took before I began, aborting the upgrade.

Any idea what I did wrong with the mysql upgrade?
Also any idea how to resolve the php missing dependency problem?

Many thanks! :D

Thanks for your help earlier atomicturtle. I understand what I need to do now for the php upgrade.

At the moment though I'm still struggling to upgrade mysql from 3.23.58 to 4.1.20 which is my current priority.

The yum upgrade mysql takes place without incident or error but mysql won't start afterwards even after a reboot.

Same error as before but I've captured the mysqld.log this time before restoring from backup.

The first log is in response to the mysql_fix_privilege_tables which is required for this upgrade.
The second log is in response to a normal service mysqld start command.

-------------Log Starts Below ---------

060708 02:02:05 mysqld started
060708 2:02:05 [ERROR] bdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
060708 2:02:05 [ERROR] bdb: process-private: unable to initialize environment lock: Function not implemented
InnoDB: Resetting space id's in the doublewrite buffer
060708 2:02:06 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 8446657
InnoDB: You are upgrading to an InnoDB version which allows multiple
InnoDB: tablespaces. Wait that purge and insert buffer merge run to
InnoDB: completion...
InnoDB: Full purge and insert buffer merge completed.
InnoDB: You have now successfully upgraded to the multiple tablespaces
InnoDB: format. You should NOT DOWNGRADE to an earlier version of
InnoDB: InnoDB! But if you absolutely need to downgrade, see
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Multiple_tablespaces.html
InnoDB: for instructions.
060708 2:02:08 [ERROR] Can't init databases
060708 2:02:08 [ERROR] Aborting

060708 2:02:08 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
060708 2:02:11 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 8446703
060708 2:02:11 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060708 02:02:11 mysqld ended

060708 02:21:21 mysqld started
060708 2:21:21 [ERROR] bdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
060708 2:21:21 [ERROR] bdb: process-private: unable to initialize environment lock: Function not implemented
060708 2:21:21 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 8446703
060708 2:21:21 [ERROR] Can't init databases
060708 2:21:21 [ERROR] Aborting

060708 2:21:21 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
060708 2:21:23 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 8446703
060708 2:21:23 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060708 02:21:23 mysqld ended

--------------------Log Ends---------------------

:confused:

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Thank-you deMone.

skip-bdb in the my.cnf file has fixed the problem. I don't have any BDB tables so can safely do without running MySQL with BDB support.

I have now successfully upgraded to mysql 4.1.20.

I'm also having problems updgrading PHP and MySQL

I have run yum upgrad php and yum upgrade mysql and I am now running PHP v 5.0.4 and MySQL v 4.1.20

However, I want to be running MySSQL 5 and PHP 5.1.4 but now if I run yum upgrade it tells me that there are no updates available.

Any ideas on how to upgrade to the latest versions i.e. 5

Cheers

There are 5.1 PHP packages in the [atomic-bleeding] channel. Be advised that anything in the [atomic-bleeding] channel is under heavy development, and have minimal, if any testing behind them.

Hey guyz,

A I know its been a while since you guyz did this mysql upgrade. I just wanted to know if I need to take backup of my existing databases or it OK to just upgrade it without backing them up.

Would appriciate a quick response.

Cheers!

hey,

I just started yum upgrade mysql but it stopped at this error.

# yum upgrade mysql
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Atomic PSA-Compatible RPMS
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Finding obsoleted packages
Resolving dependencies
.conflict between mysql and psa

I tried stopping the mysql service and doing it again but still no luck. I'm on plesk 7.1.7. Do I need to update psa first ?? :confused Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Zeeshan

Hi guys,

I was trying to upgrade MySQL on Fedora Core 3 from 3.23 to 4.1.21 with yum using ART's repository.

In the dependency checks it came back with this error:

Code:
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: php = 4.3.11-2.8 for package: php-domxml
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: php = 4.3.11-2.8 is needed by package php-domxml

Any suggestions? It seems php-domxml is required by the psa-horde package.

Thanks.

Chris

Back