• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved freh installation on Ubuntu 20.04 - need MariaDB Update to 10.5 (from standard 10.3)

Goodfred

Basic Pleskian
Hello everyone!

I've a customer who needs mySQL version 8 or MariaDB version 10.5

Recently I've installed a fresh Plesk server on Ubuntu 20.04 and I saw there that MariaDB 10.3 was installed due to the installation of Plesk.

Now I want to make a migration from the old server of the customer (Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.34 Update #2 with Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and MySQL 5.7.33) to a fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04 with Plesk.
(I saw that Plesk recommends migration to a fresh installation instead of updating the server)

Now I'm not sure how I should behave about the MariaDB version 10.3. (which should be 10.5)
I think I could use this tutorial https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...5-to-5-6-5-7-or-MariaDB-5-5-to-10-x-on-Linux- to update MariaDB to 10.5
But I'm a little bit feared if there are issues/would come problemes when I update MariaDB manualy.

Can you tell me please what you would recommend me to do in this situation?
The customer needs MariaDB 10.5 and the server needs an upgrade anyway.
I hope a fresh installation with migration and update of MariaDB is the best way.

Another question: In the link I've posted in here they say I could perform this action on own risk. What does this mean?

I'm thankful for answers, I wish a good week and I stay with kind regards
Goodfred!

I actually use 10.6 for some time now on my 20.04 LTS. No problems so far.
mysqld Ver 10.6.7-MariaDB-1:10.6.7+maria~focal for debian-linux-gnu on x86_64 (mariadb.org binary distribution)
Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

I actually use 10.6 for some time now on my 20.04 LTS. No problems so far.
Thank you for this information.
So you updated MariaDB manualy?
Can you show me the tutorial which you used if there is one?

I think it would not be a problem to update it at the moment.

I just did this on my system, got this from some other tutorial:

Code:
apt -y install software-properties-common
apt-key adv --fetch-keys 'https://mariadb.org/mariadb_release_signing_key.asc'
add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64] Index of /mariadb/repo/10.6/ubuntu/ focal main'
apt update ; apt upgrade
apt install mariadb-server  mariadb-client

Migration is done yesterday and until now the customer hasn't given me a feedback.
It seems like that everything is Ok now! :)

Code:
add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64] Index of /mariadb/repo/10.6/ubuntu/ focal main'
apt update ; apt upgrade
Hello Andre
When you Install this new version, do you need to uninstall the old version first or just directly update it?

Code:
apt update ; apt upgrade
Hi, it seems the stupid forum software replaced the repository URL with the title of the page it points to, although it shouldn't do that in CODE sections.
Could you please try to repost with the real URL?

Hello Andre
When you Install this new version, do you need to uninstall the old version first or just directly update it?
It should update to the new version with apt upgrade. If it says something like "The following packages have been held back:", use apt dist-upgrade. The apt install is supposed to be only for the case where you didn't have mariadb installed before.

Back