• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Helping a beginner Plesk user

KBS

New Pleskian
Hello. I'm a very beginner Plesk user, running v12 on Linux. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance...

1. FTP account details - Is there a way to run the FTP account on an IP address only? I'm working with a staging site, so the DNS is not connected and I can't use the usual URL in the Connecting Server box. I've tried various combinations of the IP address with no luck.

2. File size - I need to increase the upload file size heavily, and see that I need to edit the php.ini file, but where do I go to find/edit this (this may be a very silly question I realise)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Do you have added any domain in your Plesk? This domain is assigned to some IP address. You should be able connect to this IP address to port 21 with your ftp user login credentials.
2. http://kb.odin.com/en/125672

Hello. I'm a very beginner Plesk user, running v12 on Linux. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance...

1. FTP account details - Is there a way to run the FTP account on an IP address only? I'm working with a staging site, so the DNS is not connected and I can't use the usual URL in the Connecting Server box. I've tried various combinations of the IP address with no luck.

If you mean using the IP address as the FTP host, yes of-course this is already possible default...

2. File size - I need to increase the upload file size heavily, and see that I need to edit the php.ini file, but where do I go to find/edit this (this may be a very silly question I realise)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This depends on how you are running PHP either as FastCGI or Apache Module.

In both cases, you can find the location of the loaded PHP.ini file by running the following code in a PHP script:

Code:
phpinfo();

Thanks for the replies.

IgorG - yes I have a few domains setup in the same webspace, which have the same IP address, but I still can't connect. In server box I've tried all variations, e.g. xx.xx.xxx.xxx (IP address) or FTP.xx.xx.xxx.xxx or ftp://xx.xx.xxx.xxx - none are working.

Thanks for the reference on max file size.

Are you sure that ftp service is up and running on your server? Check it with

# lsof -i tcp:21

Maybe it is firewalled?

This command should be started in CLI (command line interface) and show you that ftp service port 21 is listened or not.

Thanks for the replies.

IgorG - yes I have a few domains setup in the same webspace, which have the same IP address, but I still can't connect. In server box I've tried all variations, e.g. xx.xx.xxx.xxx (IP address) or FTP.xx.xx.xxx.xxx or ftp://xx.xx.xxx.xxx - none are working.

Thanks for the reference on max file size.

You could also give us your log / error you get when attempting to connect to your FTP server.

Back