• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

hMailserver

NilsG

New Pleskian
Hallo Support,

when I read the release notes, i can't find some information about hMailserver.

Why?

Parallels told us since the last weeks they worked on support for 5.x.

Thanks,
Nelson

Yes, we have corresponding feature request about hMailserver 5.x support but nobody promised that it will be supported in version 10. Most probably that it will be supported later.

Hallo Igor,

thanks for the reply, but there is no support for hMailServer 4.X in the realease notes! This is a step backwards.

No support for hMailServer

Hello,

I am also very concerned about the "apparent" lack of support for hMailServer (any version) in the Plesk 10 final release.

The support for hMailServer 5 (in version 9.x and previous) has been requested for more than two years. Still, we know this has been addressed internally by Parallels, but facts show that it is still not anything new in any Plesk version.

Mail servers are critical composants for hosting. And I won't go back to MailEnable, or any others.
It is really important that we can use the latest versions.

So please take this seriously, as many of us are using hMailServer.

Thanks.

ridiculous...

I cant remember how often thsi has been requested.
I think it is clear: with this non support you drive the people to the high-cost partners who are offering IMAP features..

@Igor: Why isn iot possible to escalate it internally to get an official statement?

It is postponed and postponed since 2 years now!

I think it is clear: with this non support you drive the people to the high-cost partners who are offering IMAP features..

Thanks. I would have not mentioned even if it seems obvious.

I think that especially for Windows hosting, we have already some significant fees for the licenses for Windows and Plesk Panel. I cannot imagine how we can remain competitive against Linux hosting (or big ISP) if we cannot use any free open source softwares for our mail servers, databases, and so on.

Hopefully this won't be happening the day Oracle would decide to make people pay (more) for mySQL, and that we will be able to select MariaDB instead.

I am still hoping that Parallels will hear us. That's a non-sense to possibly loose long time customers because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without support for hmailserver 4, many people will not be able to upgrade the Panel in the future.. that is a very bad news.

Please restore support AT LEAST for hmailserver 4!

Free mail servers with Windows and Plesk 10?

Without support for hmailserver 4, many people will not be able to upgrade the Panel in the future.. that is a very bad news.

Indeed...

For the time being, I think that I will be stuck and keep using Plesk 9.5.2, which is providing most of the features I need. I can upgrade the critical components like bind, PHP, mySQL, separately to keep most things secure and up to date.

Otherwise for new servers with Plesk, I might consider to go to the Plesk Panel Linux versions and use qmail or postfix. Or I could eventually go to some alternate control panel for Windows supporting hMailServer.

I expected in Plesk Panel versions when I started with version 7.x, a continuity in the features and the third-parties applications supported.
It has been the case so far.

I am still hoping... Wait and see.

yes but we all know what all those migrations mean in terms of work time and downtime (and the risks).

i think that a professional product like plesk should always keep features of this importance through updates. consumer users can simply change their habits, but professionals have to spend time and money to switch to a new mail server (and switching mail servers is not even really supported by plesk).

yes but we all know what all those migrations mean in terms of work time and downtime (and the risks).
I agree. I cannot forget a few migrations that did not go that smoothly. And I remember that I was a little overconfident on some new major versions of Plesk. As a habbit now, I wait for a few months to be sure that the version is mature and that most issues have been addressed.

i think that a professional product like plesk should always keep features of this importance through updates. consumer users can simply change their habits, but professionals have to spend time and money to switch to a new mail server (and switching mail servers is not even really supported by plesk).

I don't really remember how I could migrate from MailEnable to hMailServer long ago. What I recall, is that I absolutely don't regret it as it improved most things significantly. Grey-listing was blessing, a few issue I had with ME disappeared.
I guess I might have lost contents of mailboxes in the process. This was probably not critical as most clients used POP mail client softwares.

Right now, I could really benefit from using hMailServer 5. I am very unhappy to be stuck with version 4.

We have dropped hMailserver support because according to our statistics hMailserver is not so popular as Smartermail or Icewarp mailservers.

We have dropped hMailserver support because according to our statistics hMailserver is not so popular as Smartermail or Icewarp mailservers.

OK, if I wanted to migrate from hMailServer to Mail Enable Professional as you have dropped hmail support, how would I do this?

Surley if Plesk have cut hMailServer you could provide a way of migrating customers from hMail back to MailEnable.

On Plesk 9 server you should switch to MailEnable/Smartermail from hMailserver before migration/upgrade to Plesk 10.

OK, but if I switch Mail Servers wont I loose all my current e-mail accounts as well as IMAP folders etc. I believe that the mail servers differ in the format they save messages etc.

If you could confirm how I can switch from hMailServer to MailEnable and transfering existing data please?

Not Very helpful for people who want IMAP!

Im really happy with hmailserver (More so than Plesk at this point!). I was shocked to see plesk 9.5 not supporting hmailserver 5.. now you're dropping it all together!

If I have to choose between Plesk and hmailserver i think i know which way ill go.

You mean not as profitable, i am almost sure mailenable is not any more popular than hmailserver since hmailserver free version has more feature than mailenable. For instance message submission port (587) is not supported on mailenable standard and greylisting in hmailserver is tons better imo.
Well i guess i will be keeping me servers at version 9.5.2 for now

statistics

`...where is it coming from?

I do agree: I can not believe it is due to low usage..

For me it means: no free IMAP anymore, or is there anything else supported by Plesk ?

This really is nothing but a push to expensive alternatives. hmailserver is too good and would cut into their profits as people have been and would use it instead. I know of many people running hmailserver and a quick search online exposes how false the company's statement is.

One thing, what are the statistics about hmailserver use? How were they collected ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back