• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue How can I access the Plesk Dashboard, when there is no available Disk Space?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I am struggling to access the Plesk interface, on a VPS, which hosts several WordPress websites. The reason is due to insufficient Disk Space, as per the below message that is produced when I try to log into Plesk:

No Disk Space.png

I am simply looking to gain access to the data, on this VPS, so that I can delete/optimise where necessary, in order to free up some Disk Space. So far, I have tried the following but with no success:
  1. SSH: Unfortunately, I have forbidden SSH Access to all users; including Root and Admin. Therefore, SSH is not an option.
  2. SFTP/FTP: SFTP/FTP is also not an option, due to the above reasons.
  3. Repair Kit: I selected the 'Open Repair Kit' button, as per the above screenshot, but the login credentials were not being accepted. Presumably because of the lack of Disk Space too.
  4. WordPress Login: Unfortunately, I am taken to the 'Under Maintenance' page, when I try to log into the WordPress Dashboard. Therefore, I am unable to gain access to any of the media via this method neither.
Luckily, I have backups of the websites. Therefore, I could always simply reinstall the VPS (Thus removing all data). Then re-upload the data, once I have performed the necessary changes locally. Obviously, I would rather avoid this lengthy effort.

As such, I would welcome any other ideas I could explore in trying to regain access to the VPS.

Last edited:
SSH and FTP are two different services. You should be able to connect to FTP even you have your SSH disabled. Anyway you have mentioned this is not an option.

You can try to contact your VPS Provider and ask them to delete some files for you. They should be able to do this.

SSH and FTP are two different services. You should be able to connect to FTP even you have your SSH disabled. Anyway you have mentioned this is not an option.

You can try to contact your VPS Provider and ask them to delete some files for you. They should be able to do this.
Thanks for your response.

FTP/SFTP becomes inaccessible, when I also disable access to SSH.

The VPS provider is unable to access the data on the VPS, since I have changed all default passwords and all access points have been disabled. I guess my only 2 options are to either upgrade Disk Space or free up space locally then upload to a reinstalled VPS?

FTP/SFTP becomes inaccessible, when I also disable access to SSH.
SFTP, yes, when you try to access FTP via SSH on port 22. But there is also FTP and FTPS on port 21. These will still be available when SSH is not. You can try to use port 21 instead of 22 and also instruct your FTP client to not to use SFTP (that's something different from FTP with SSL, FTPS), and you will probably be able to access the disc structure.

Did you contact the VPS provider? Usually they do not need any passwords to access your disk.
They said that there were no additional methods to access the VPS, their end, since I had disabled all Root/Admin Access. I'm guessing the easiest solution is to request a temporary upgrade, then downgrade once I have solved the issue.

SFTP, yes, when you try to access FTP via SSH on port 22. But there is also FTP and FTPS on port 21. These will still be available when SSH is not. You can try to use port 21 instead of 22 and also instruct your FTP client to not to use SFTP (that's something different from FTP with SSL, FTPS), and you will probably be able to access the disc structure.
Thank you for your suggestion. SSH is completely out of the question, since when I try logging in, I am met with an 'Access is denied' message. This is expected, as I had forbidden Root access and also all SSH access via the Plesk Dashboard.

I did try Filezilla to access files via both SFTP and FTP but connection, regardless of of Port Number, was failing. The only was I was able to gain SSH/SFTP/FTP access, is if I grant it within the Plesk Dashboard. Something I am unable to access at present.

I would not know how to disable FTP in Plesk. Normally, in your FTP program you must explicitely forbid SFTP, else it will try to go through SSH. But FTP, you disabled FTP on your server? How did you do that?

I would not know how to disable FTP in Plesk. Normally, in your FTP program you must explicitely forbid SFTP, else it will try to go through SSH. But FTP, you disabled FTP on your server? How did you do that?
I have since just gone ahead and reinstalled the VPS, uploading backups where needed.

Turns out only SSH/SFTP access was Forbidden (as I had set up). The reason why I was unable to access the Web Files, via FTP, was because my failed efforts to log in elsewhere had triggered my IP Blacklisting rules; thus blocking my own IP. Lesson learnt!

Thanks all for your responses. :)

Back