• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

How do I add a "webmail subdomain"?

G

Gianluca Stella

Hi all,

I use Plesk only for web server management, no DNS or Mail (managed by my own tools on other servers).
I need to setup a webmail subdomain, but Plesk tells me that "Unable to update hosting preferences: Incorrect subdomain name webmail.xxx.com: this domain name is used for access to Webmail under the domain xxx.com.".

Is there a workaround? I need the freedom to add what ever subdomain I want.

Can someone out there help me?

Cheers,
G.

Hello,

Your Parallels Plesk Panel (PP) works in cooperation with a mail server, which provides mail services for your domains. After installation the mail server is configured automatically and is ready to serve, however, we recommend that you review the default settings to make sure that they satisfy your needs:
Go to Home > Mail Server Settings. The server-wide mail preferences screen will open on the Preferences tab.

To enable webmail for domain, no need to add the subdomain. Just follow the steps:

Domains > Select domain name > Under the Services section select Mail > Under the Tools section select Preferences > select Webmail checkbox

Please, note that you will need to set up "webmail.domainname.com" in DNS first to be able to access webmail.
After these steps are performed, you will be able to access the webmail at the following link: webmail.domainname.com

Hi Nataliya,

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to use the mail server capabilities included in PP, I just want to create a "webmail" subdomain for my personal use. When I tried to create it, PP told me that "this domain name is used for access to Webmail under the domain xxx.com.".

I would like to know if there is a workaround and if I can create a subdomain named "webmail".

Thanks,
G.

If I understood what you want to do correctly ...

Since plesk creates the webmail.domain you need to go to the mail preferences and DISABLE webmail for this domain in order to be able to create a subdomain manually.

I don't know if there is by default a restriction but you can give it a try !

Please, note that you will need to set up "webmail.domainname.com" in DNS first to be able to access webmail.

How do you do this? This is the last piece of my puzzle! Where is the DNS settings inside the PLESK control panel (at admin level). Thanks for your help

Sorry for writing it n 9* forum
Similar (not the same) problem on PP 10.1.1 - can't add alias for webmail.domain.
On PP 9 adding "ServerAlias" file to webmail aliases directory worked, after updating we lost it.
Of course, now I can add it to generated conf's dir and link to httpd, but it unlinks after httpd restart (new configuration generates and applies).
Adding it through control panel (Settings > Mail > Webmail) has no result.
Now this problem is key for our update from 9.5.2 to 10* - we can't allow switching this subdomain off.
Primary DNS is located on another server, but it doesn't cause any problem with subdomains availability.
P.S. just realized that web-interface settings are for external webmails. Wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back