• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do i configure nameservers?

• Thread starter webdeveloperrmi
  • Start date
W

webdeveloperrmi

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I bought a domain and i can manage only nameservers. I don't have access to A records of the domain. So i had to create ns records on my server and register them with the domain registrator , so here is what i did:

1. I create a new domain in plesk - domain.com
2. Then i create ns1.domain.com A 111.111.111.111 and ns2.domain.com A 111.111.111.112
3. Then i create domain.com NS ns1.domain.com and domain.com NS ns2.domain.com. I also remove the default ns.domain.com record which plesk creates from the DNS template.
4. I went to the domain registrator, register the nameservers with the same IPs which i point in plesk and then set the new nameserver to the domains.
5. After that i check the domain with whois and the new nameservers were already set.

I try to ping the domain.com but i got message ping request could not find host domain.com ...
I even can't open it or ping it.

Here is the DNS settings

111.111.111.110 / 24 PTR domain.com.
ftp.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
mail.domain.com. A 111.111.111.110
domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
domain.com. A 111.111.111.110
domain.com. MX (10) mail.domain.com.
ns1.domain.com. A 111.111.111.111
ns2.domain.com. A 111.111.111.112
webmail.domain.com. A 111.111.111.110
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.

Can somebody help me because i can't find any solution.

Thanks.
Ross

Unless I missed something, what you have done all sounds correct.

I think it would be sensible to use www.dnsstuff.com to test the DNS settings - you may find what the problem is that way more easily.

Also do a local lookup: use

nslookup domain.com 127.0.0.1 on the Plesk server to check the A record is correct for domain.com

You can also use

dig domain.com @127.0.0.1

Another thing to try is dig domain.com @ns1.domain.com -- this will help you make sure that ns1.domain.com is actually created. Remember it might take 48 hours or so for a newly created nameserver to be "visible" accross the internet.

Faris.

Back