• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question how i can Replace mariadb with mysql on Plesk / ubuntu 20.04

shopuser

Basic Pleskian
how i can Replace mariadb with mysql on Plesk / ubuntu 20.04 ? or add mysql as 2nd localhost database Server ?

first install mysql via ssh
sudo apt install mysql-server ? and then in plesk in databaseserver ?

Last edited:
You could run a docker container with MySQL and add it as an additional database server to Plesk.

Last edited:
It's just an alternative solution to your question. I would imagine that replacing MariaDB with MySQL on a server that already runs Plesk can be quite a hassle. However I have no experience doing this, so I could be wrong here. Setting up a docker container to run MySQL is quite easy on the other hand. If I am not mistaken Docker containers are also hardly any less efficient than native performance.

Last edited:
i try to install mysql but i see this , maria-sql.jpg

i mean i must install mysql via ssh.

to replace mariadb is to complicate , plesk is installed with this database.
I want maria + mysql

Last edited:
i have installed new ubuntu 20.04 with plesk because of support end ubuntu 16.04, at the server i have a shopystem, they show this erro with mariaDB.

Error: Error in line 1: DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string (NULL) at position 0 (N): The timezone could not be found in the database

the error comes only with a import with new products, when updating existing products, everything works, including the shop

What is the MySQL version required by your software?

If it is MySQL 8, MariaDB 10.4 compatible with this. Also The Plesk support MariaDB 10.4

i have installed new ubuntu 20.04 with plesk because of support end ubuntu 16.04, at the server i have a shopystem, they show this erro with mariaDB.

Error: Error in line 1: DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string (NULL) at position 0 (N): The timezone could not be found in the database

the error comes only with a import with new products, when updating existing products, everything works, including the shop
That's not because you're not running MySQL. I'm not even sure that's a MySQL/MariaDB related issue at all. MariaDB > 10.5 is dropin MySQL. They're fully compatible.

That's not because you're not running MySQL. I'm not even sure that's a MySQL/MariaDB related issue at all. MariaDB > 10.5 is dropin MySQL. They're fully compatible.
the problem is MariaDB, at a other server with MySQL is all normal without error, the shop is a shopware but a 5.2 Version, in the newer versions a very good import module was removed

Which version of MySQL you are looking forward to run?

I might be able to give you instructions of running a Docker with required MySQL version.

the problem is MariaDB, at a other server with MySQL is all normal without error, the shop is a shopware but a 5.2 Version, in the newer versions a very good import module was removed
If that is the case, you can either have it parallel via docker as mentioned, or replace MariaDB with MySQL (the most reliable way to do this is to dump all the databases and reimport them).

For docker, you can pull the mysql image for the version (Docker Hub) you want and then call docker run <image> with the relevant flags (you'll likely need to NAT 3306 to 3307, pass the -p flag). The Docker Extension will provide a way to do this for you

ok Thanks, for infos, this with the docker works very good, i have installed MySQL 5.7 and works ! Great!

If that is the case, you can either have it parallel via docker as mentioned, or replace MariaDB with MySQL (the most reliable way to do this is to dump all the databases and reimport them).

For docker, you can pull the mysql image for the version (Docker Hub) you want and then call docker run <image> with the relevant flags (you'll likely need to NAT 3306 to 3307, pass the -p flag). The Docker Extension will provide a way to do this for you
How can I replace MariaDB with MySQL on my existing Plesk server?
I am trying to use a plugin that uses the ANY_VALUE function but it seems MariaDB does not support that function.
Any instructions that can help me replace MariaDB on my Plesk server with MySQL would be appreciated.

@Yitzchok Wagner It is not recommended to migrate from MariaDB to MySQL. In general, MariaDB outperforms MySQL in many aspects. Replacing MariaDB with MySQL is not so easy, because on the server they may be websites or scripts that rely on specific MariaDB functions and configurations. Technically, you can replace MariaDB server with MySQL server very similar to upgrade a database server. But again, there will be lots of obstacles that depend on the individual configuration of the existing server.

If you have one application that needs MySQL server instead, the best to do is to use the Docker container approach. It is outlined in this thread. There is also a general KB article
on it.

Another approach can be to migrate the whole system to a new server where you start off with MySQL server installed. You can use Plesk Migrator to migrate everything after setting up the new server.

Back