• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

How To: Configure Customer's DNS Settings To Use The Server's Main NS Records.

ThatOkeAlen

New Pleskian
Hi There,

This may be a blatant question to some, however, I have just moved away from Kloxo Hosting, and I am a bit confused as to how I go about setting Client domains to use the (Already Registered) Nameserver Records I have created on the server.

You see, when I create a customer, the template adds the domain with it's own nameservers, ex: (ns.customerdomain.com -> 0.0.0.0) I don't want this to be the case.
What I would like to achieve, is for all my client's to have their NS records pointing at the NS records I already have registered on the server.

The reason for this is, when I submit the registration document to my local registrar, I have to specify the nameserver address for the domain, however, I only have 2 IP's on the server. I cannot glue every customer's domain FQDN to an IP.

If you need me to elaborate further, I will.

Please Help!

Many Thanks!

For the domain you will be basing your namservers on, you need to create nameserver host records via your registrar's control panel.

So, if you want to use ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com as namservers, you have to:
1) In Plesk, add A records in yourdomain.com pointing ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to the appropriate IPs of your Plesk box
2) In Plesk, add NS records in yourdomain.com: ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com
3) In Plesk, modify the DNS Template so that it does not add ns.customerdomain.com NS records to new domains
4) In Plesk, modify the DNS Template so that it adds ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to all new domains
5) In the Registrar's control panel for yourdomain.com add namserver host records pointing ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to the IPs of your Plesk box. This is similar to step 1.
6) Ask your customers to remove any existing namservers their domains may be set to use and to use ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com instead.

Step 5 is the most difficult. Do not confuse adding nameserver host records with modifying DNS records in the domain. Many registrars allow you to add/modify DNS records so that you don't need external DNS of any kind. But this isn't what you want to do here. You need to add nameserver host records, sometimes called "glue records" and usually this is done in a totally different part of the control panel to modifying/adding DNS records.

Basically, you need both Step 5 to avoid a chicken and egg situation. Step 5 gives the Internet at large a "clue" as to where to find the DNS server, because the Internet at large won't be able to ask your Plesk box what the IP address is until it knows the IP address of your Plesk box! So that Step 5 is soooo important!

Back