• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to create a DKIM Public and Private Key for a DNS Record stored externally?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I have just purchased a Domain, with a Registrar, where I input all the necessary DNS Records within the Control Panel provided by the Registrar.

It is within the Control Panel, where I point the Domain to the VPS I am hosting the Web Files.

Where I am struggling, is to create a DKIM Record.

I have gone into 'VPS > Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings', where I have ensured the both the following have been selected:
  • Allow signing outgoing mail;
  • Verify incoming mail.
After using MXToolbox, I can see that the DKIM Record has not been setup successfully. I can only assume it is due to missing DNS Records within the External Control Panel; where the Public or Private Keys need to be entered?!

With this in mind, how can I generate the relevant Keys/DNS Records, in order to complete the DKIM Setup.

Maybe you did it right in VPS level, but not in your domain level.

Enabling or disabling DKIM on the Server
To enable the DKIM functionality on your server, go to Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings (in the Mail group) and scroll down to the DKIM spam protection section. The following options allow you to manage DKIM on your server:

• Allow signing outgoing mail. This option enables customers to switch on the DKIM signing of outgoing mail on a per-domain basis. It does not automatically enable signing of all outgoing email messages. To use DKIM, users must switch it on for individual domains.
  • Verify incoming mail (Plesk for Linux). This option switches on DKIM checking for all incoming mail. All messages are checked, and if the check fails, are marked with a special header.
Note that each option can be selected independently. You can choose to enable signing of outgoing mail, checking of incoming mail, or both.

Note: You cannot disable DKIM checking for incoming mail if DMARC is enabled.

DKIM, SPF, and DMARC Protection
if you're using 3rd party DNS :
How to get the DKIM public key from Plesk if DNS is not installed

Sound all very easy and I did it that way :)
The TXT record added into DNS has a key now which looks like the one in the documentation :D

Checked in etc/domainkeys/domain-name/ and found a key there - Should be the wright one (Public key). Well it is not. Still not working
I asume I dont need to work on the private key as it is not a DNS record (i think)

So where is the catch?

Back