• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to download a full backup of plesk (not only the .xml file, but the full server backup)

Dave_K

New Pleskian
Hi There!

I'm relatively new to Plesk (and to this forum), I have Plesk running on a VPS, which I want to reinstall, but before I do that I want to download a full backup.

It seems that if I download a "full" backup from the backup manager in Plesk, it only downloads a XML file with references (which is only a few kb in size).
I'm going to completely erase the VPS so any references in the XML will become obsolete, that's why I would like to download a full (cold, super big) backup which I can store on an external hard drive.

I have searched for an answer on Google and made a quick search on this forum but I couldn't find an answer to the above.

I would really appreciate someones advice on this matter, thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Dave

Last edited:
What do you see when you go to Tools&Settings > Backup Manager? Do you create backups stored remotely on the FTP server or are they stored locally?
For example, on my Plesk server, I see full and incremental backups stored on remote FTP server and I can download them:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 11.13.36.png

Hi Igor, thank you for your reply.
I haven't setup remote storage yet, I thought I could download the full 305 MB (see picture below) to my local computer by clicking the green download arrow:
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-27 om 10.17.21.png

But when I click the green download arrow, instead it only downloads a 26KB Tar file containing an XML:
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-27 om 10.18.30.png

Do I have to setup some kind of remote storage, and then download it from that remote storage? (If really necessary I could try using my dropbox/google drive, but best case would be to just be able to download it to my local mac directly from Plesk)

Kind regards,
Dave

When you try to download backup make sure that log file /var/log/plesk/PMM/migration.log contains something like this:

INFO: SignError Cannot read public key [common/plesk-utils/PMM/backup_sign_lib/backup_sign.cpp:SignError]
void plesk::composePublickey(const string&, std::__cxx11::string&, std::__cxx11::string&)
INFO: pmm-ras finished. Exit code: 1

That means Backup certificate is missing.
In this case regenerate the backup sign key using below command:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_sign --generate

Try to download a backup again.

Dear Igor,

The log indeed indicated that it could not read the public key, I ran your command and it resolved the issue as the file is now completely downloaded (full size)
Thank you for your help! :D

Kind regards,
Dave

Back