• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to publish a DNS record (A type) for the hostname?

blue-tik

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Linux
Plesk version and microupdate number
I have a VPS with Plesk 18 on it.

My e-mails have been flagged as spam by some recipients.

Did some testing with mail-tester.com and the problem is the following:

"We didn't find a server (A Record) behind your hostname myserver.0001."

Can anybody help me out on what I should do to resolve this?

It seems simple, but I've been searching online the entire morning, but can't seem to find a good answer :)

Many thanks in advance!

Ideally you would want to have your hostname set to a fully qualify domain name for use with the server so if you host name shows up in the system overview as "myserver.0001" then you might want to change the host name to be something else within your domain. For example, with mine, mine is set to be akheera.simon-soft.com. This allows me to set an A record manually to point to it so email servers are happy.

If you're not able to do that, you might be able to get away with updating your outgoing mail mode from Send from domain IP addresses to Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting which is founder under Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings.

The other alternative mention is to edit the config files of postfix directly to not use the hostname of the server but something else, then just make sure you have an A record set.

In either case, you would also want to make sure you have a rDNS configured for that host name to whatever IP address you're using.

@scsa20 thank you!

Here is what I did:

- I used the setting Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting
-
I setup rDNS to point to myemaildomain.com
- Went to mail-tester.com to find out I now have a 10/10 score :) (was 5/10 before this)

One more question:

There are 2 domains on this VPS. myemaildomain.com and seconddomain.com. The second domain is a project I'm working on and currently not using it for e-mail.

If I want to setup e-mail on seconddomain.com in the future, won't I run into the same problem with that domain? Because rDNS now points to myemaildomain.com.

in theory it could but as long as the spf references to your server's ip address and the ip address then you should be fine. in my case I left the mail server settings default, my hostname is set to akheera.simon-soft.com, and my rDNS is set to akheera.simon-soft.com as well, and never once had an issue with multiple domains sending emails since they all come back to something that is authorized.

- I used the setting Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting
That setting is possible, but it can lead to block listing at Spamhaus, because when their honey pots receive maisl from the same IP but with different domain names in the greeting, their algorithms assume that the IP is spoofing domain names, hence they start blocking the IP. To avoid that case I suggest using "Send from domain IP addresses" (first option).

Back