• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to upgrade Plesk 12 to Plesk Onyx in an easy way?

Unfortunately, even with good preparation, there is always a risk that a service won't start up again, some files go missing or database tables are corrupted. I believe that if you follow these steps you are well prepared, anyway:

Make a full server backup and store it on an external FTP storage.

Then run
# plesk repair all -y
to make sure that the existing Plesk installation is all correctly configured. (Available on 12.5.30)

Then make sure that
- /tmp has at least 3 GB of free disk space (# df -h /tmp)
- root file system / has at least 10% free disk space
- /tmp is not mounted with "noexec" attribute (# mount -l | grep noexec; no output = good, else do # mount -o remount,exec /tmp)
- "base" and "updates" repositories are enabled (# yum reposlist enabled)
- yum can download and install packages from OS vendor's repositories (# yum makecache must yiels 'Metadata Cache Created')

Then apply the latest OS updates on the server (# yum update).

Then run the pre-upgrade check:
# wget http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.0.17/examiners/panel_preupgrade_checker.php
# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php panel_preupgrade_checker.php
Do not ignore warnings. Solve underlying issues before you continue by using links to the KB articles provided.

Now do Plesk upgrade. Either follow this guide: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...esk-with-the-latest-version-of-autoinstaller- or run the upgrade from "Updates and Upgrades" through GUI.

Various issues can occur after the upgrade. Installation will be logged to/var/log/plesk/install. For further research on issues, check autoinstaller3.log, plesk_17.0.17_installation.log and plesk_17.0.17_installation_problems.log. If upgrade seems to hang, do not interrupt process immediately, but check process tree of parallels_installer process (# ps axfww), wait 3 minutes, check again. Some processes might take a lot of time to complete, depending on your system and computing power.

In case of unclear log messages:
# export PLESK_INSTALLER_DEBUG=1
# plesk installer –select-release-latest –upgrade-installed-components –debug
Then check log files again.

Is there a possibility that some application or other automatic way will be released soon to upgrade Plesk 12 to Plesk Onyx?

Something like how we upgraded Plesk 12 to Plesk 12.5.
It would be very good and easy. Besides being safer for all of us.

GUI upgrade is available and is as easy as the upgrade vom 12.0 to 12.5.3, but you were asking for a way to be as safe as possible. For that reason I recommend to take the additional steps.

Thanks!

I have a server with Plesk that has only one site, but it is a site with a very large database (6 GB).

Do you think it's dangerous to use the automatic update for Plesk Onyx?

If there are problems after updating the Plesk version, can I go back to the previous version? Would it solve the problem? Or the only solution is to restore the backup?

I currently use version 12. Is it better to upgrade first to version 12.5 and later to version Plesk Onyx or upgrade directly to Plesk Onyx?

Direct update from 12 to Onyx is supported. Rollback is only possible with a full restore from a backup. Follow the details mentioned above before you run the autoinstaller upgrade.

Many thanks to everyone for the information.
Plesk is one of the softwares that has better customer service, this is very important!
God bless.

Thank you.
From 0 to 100%, what is the risk of something going wrong when using the Plesk automatic update from version 12 to the Plesk Onyx version?

Thank you.
From 0 to 100%, what is the risk of something going wrong when using the Plesk automatic update from version 12 to the Plesk Onyx version?
I would say 10-15% But it is so difficult to predict...

I like your optimism, Igor :). I have still not upgraded most of ours, because I still feel "unprepared" despite having read tons of information on pitfalls.

I think that the key issue is not the Plesk update itself, but the Linux environment. Most issues that users have reported here are Linux problems with libraries, permissions, security mechanisms like selinux and so on. Plesk itself is a great product, but if you have any non-standard configuration on your machine, an upgrade can give you headaches.

I think that the key issue is not the Plesk update itself, but the Linux environment. Most issues that users have reported here are Linux problems with libraries, permissions, security mechanisms like selinux and so on. Plesk itself is a great product, but if you have any non-standard configuration on your machine, an upgrade can give you headaches.
I totally agree.
People often install different third-party software, repositories, patches, customizations, etc. and it causes most of upgrade problems. If you use default installation environment, it should be no problem.

I practically did not make changes on my server.
CentOS 6.6
PHP 5.3.3
MySQL 5.1

There is only one error in PHP, I do not know if this can cause problems. But the PHP garbage collector is set up wrong. One reason I want to update is this. In Plesk 17 it is possible to access the php.ini from the server, easily.

I have two domains on this server, but in one of the domains I have not even built the site yet.
The only site on the server is built with Question2Answer. I increased the memory_limit for 3072M and also the database is quite large (approximately 6 GB)

I agree.
I am even less proficient than most of the posters here.
Over the years I have had quite a few plesk upgrade problems, agreed mostly due to third-party software, repositories, patches, customizations, etc. but a I defy anyone to find a pure 'vanilla' server.
PHP updates often cause issues.
Now I get it all updated, clean and stable and then disable updates. I only update or patch after that if there is a security vulnerability discovered.
Every 2-3 years I get a new up to date VPS and start again.
iain

Back