1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas on how to update Apache and PHP on CentOS 4

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by SacAutos, Jan 25, 2009.

1. SacAutos

SacAutos Regular Pleskian

40%
    I'm running a CentOS 4 server that I recently "upgraded" to Plesk 9. In order to pass some audit requirements, I need to update my Apache and PHP versions. (Apache is currently at 2.0.52 and PHP at 4.3.9.) "yum update" reports that I'm already on the current versions. It would be best if the server could be updated to Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2 . Am I hosed here?

2. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

CentOS (like RHEL) uses backporting: http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html A lot of times the problem is that the audit process only looks at version numbers to see if software has security vulnerabilities, but this is not applicable when a distribution uses backporting (like most enterprise distributions do). If you're running the latest versions from the CentOS repositories, you should be okay and I definitely don't recommend installing custom packages just to pass this audit. It sounds like the problem here is the audit itself.

3. Amin Taheri

Amin Taheri Golden Pleskian Plesk Certified Professional

Centos4 ships with and distributes apache 2.0.x and php 4.x while Centos5 distributes apache 2.2.x and php 5.x
    While your installation may still be secure, if you are interested in upgrading you can attempt to grab source packages and rebuild for your system. You can also use the atomic repository from ART to install php 5.2 on centos4 by using the instructions here
    http://www.atomicorp.com/channels/atomic/centos/4/i386/