• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs INBOX path not set on autodiscover transaction of mail settings in mail clients

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Username: Peter Debik

TITLE

INBOX path not set on autodiscover transaction of mail settings in mail clients

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Obsidian, latest MU
CentOS 7.9 (others, too)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

We encounter a business logic issue with the autodiscover feature.

By default, the IMAP service uses "INBOX" as its root path. But when a mailbox is created in a client, this path is not automatically set-up. For example in Thunderbird, but also in Outlook. As the path is missing, important folders like "sent objects", "drafts" etc. are missing and Outlook exposes strange behavior on actions like deleting or moving mails.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Create a mailbox.
Let any mail client autodiscover it.

ACTUAL RESULT

Basic server data found, but Inbox path prefix is not set.

EXPECTED RESULT

Inbox path prefix should be set.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I am not sure whether this can be done in an autodiscover XML config file, and there has been a User Voice entry for this, too.

Personally, I think that this should not be treated as a User Voice request, but as a bug, because currently, an autoconfigured mailbox renders using the mailbox almost useless to a customer. Customers who need autoconfiguration won't be able to find their way through the manual configuration directives to the IMAP "INBOX" input option. They won't even know that they need to set that in addition to the autodiscovered box.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Help with sorting out

Peter, thank you!
Currently, Plesk provides autodiscovery.xml file to mail clients that contain:
  • available protocols
  • available authorization methods
No other data transferred to mail clients.

However, there should be some workarounds:

1. Using subdomain, like in comments of feature request that created Sep 03, 2020:
Feature Suggestions: Top (1827 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk

2. Using customization of Dovecot in KB article
Plesk Help Center

Thank you, yes, probably the subdomain solution comes next to what is needed.

The other article, regarding Dovecot configuration, is inaccessible for normal users. I assume that it explains how to change the INBOX path. But that cannot be an option, because existing users would need to update their settings if the server-side settings are changed.

BTW, this issue was confirmed and submitted as PPP-53136

was the any update on this issue? we too are experience strange issues with syncing emails/folders and i believe its because the clients arent putting in the INBOX prefix

Back